WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great job headchange! Can't wait to see it with the cover too. Did you say the ridgeline is removeable? I'll have to go back and re-read (again).

Images
    Cool project. Great looking sewing. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Great job headchange! Can't wait to see it with the cover too. Did you say the ridgeline is removeable? I'll have to go back and re-read (again).
    Yes, the ridge line is completely removable.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Very cool. Thanks!

Images
    I made mine and am trying to get the feel right. I feel a huge difference between having the ridgeline going through the hammock whipping vs the normal larkshead knot.

My problem is with shoulder squeeze. I am finding a tighter hang gives me a really flat hang. But with that I get the squeeze. A looser hang takes away the squeeze, but also takes the flatness away.

I think I need to change something small with the way I am folding the ends.

Any thoughts?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Maybe a different number of folds. I think Drop said he used something like 4 folds instead of the 5 folds I used. My ridge line is probably about 90" from one whipping to the other.

You could do smaller folds thus having more rolls that may give you better incremental adjustments. It took me a little while and several attempts at whipping to get the feel right.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Headchane4u,
    I second JJ's caution about the ridgeline biners. They may have been minimally stressed with the spacing you tested the hammock at, but will carry much more stress if you set up with wider supports. An overlooked feature of the HH is that the ridge line keeps the sag of the hammock consistent over a wide range of support spacings. When supports are too close together, the ridge will sag, but as you space wider, the ridge comes into play to hold the sag of the hammock stable. When spacing is wide, the stress on the ridge line gets pretty stiff. Using the ridge line as part of the hammock structure is a good idea, and any hammock will benefit from it.

I don't use biners at all, but tie the ridge line directly to loops at the ends of my home-made hammocks. I use a sheet bend to secure the webbing lines to the hammock, and sew a loop at the tied end of the webbing. That is where I attach the ridge line. You already have loops sewn to the hammock, and that will work, too.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Headchane4u,
    I second JJ's caution about the ridgeline biners. They may have been minimally stressed with the spacing you tested the hammock at, but will carry much more stress if you set up with wider supports. An overlooked feature of the HH is that the ridge line keeps the sag of the hammock consistent over a wide range of support spacings. When supports are too close together, the ridge will sag, but as you space wider, the ridge comes into play to hold the sag of the hammock stable. When spacing is wide, the stress on the ridge line gets pretty stiff. Using the ridge line as part of the hammock structure is a good idea, and any hammock will benefit from it.

I don't use biners at all, but tie the ridge line directly to loops at the ends of my home-made hammocks. I use a sheet bend to secure the webbing lines to the hammock, and sew a loop at the tied end of the webbing. That is where I attach the ridge line. You already have loops sewn to the hammock, and that will work, too.
    I've got a small unrated/light rated biner in the ridgeline of my HH ULB, and I've hung it in just about every imaginable configuration that way. Hanging from wider-spaced trees definitely puts more tension on the ridgeline, but I haven't had any problems at all.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I do plan on changing those biners at some point, but I have to agree with BB. I have sent a few hours lounging in this hammock and there have been no signs of stress on these biners. They still open and close perfectly and they do not stretch or give when I am in the hammock. I still don't trust them but until I find a light weight alternative they will have to do.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    If the structural ridge line fails doesn't the hammock revert back to a standard ridge lineless hammock? What I mean is it wont be a back to ground type deal. ('though I could see the slight potential for having a bit of biner being catapulted the length of the hammock ).

As I understand it the ridge line actually tends to compress when the hammock is loaded as the weight is transferred through the hammock and into the support lines.

All that being said, I use climbing rated biners, I'd like to try some of those mini biners that came up a while ago* or potentially attach the ridge line to the loop thingys with some kind of removable knot.

Drop
    *From the company that doesn't seem to offer overseas service or replies to emails

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast