Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Wow.... Thank you Hc4U , 1Adam 12 and Wilson especially but really everyone who's contributing to this thread. Couple questions...
    1Adam12 do you have dimensions/pattern for yours? Also, what fold pattern/method did you use?

I saw Wilson mention that the head and foot ends were folded differently but never found a pattern or mention of what the difference was. Can anyone point me to a link if I just missed it?
    thank!
    Last edited by wideguy; 04-01-2013 at 10:34.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Nice work/ costs?

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    Thanks to Headchange4u for starting this post. We finished our version of the HH clone and hex tarp. Now we just need to put it into use. We are still tweaking it, so we don't have final weight. We purchased most of our materials from DIY gear and used their suggestions on the Hex Tarp. Thank you DIY Gear. Great place to purchase from and super quick shipping.
    That third picture showing the pull out and zipper really shows off your craftsmanship. GREAT job. Makes me really want to do this. Has anyone determined how much this project costs? I really can't afford to buy a Henny or anything nice that is over $100.

Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott
    Herndon, VA
    (Looking for others to see how their setup works locally)

1Adam12 do you have dimensions/pattern for yours? Also, what fold pattern/method did you use?
    The dimensions I used were the same as HeadChange4U recommended in his initial post. I pretty much followed his directions except for the tie outs. The tie outs I tried to copy from a friend of our's Hennessy Hammock.

I made a cheap prototype from $1 yard material from Walmart to practice before I purchased all the materials for the final ones.

I followed the fold pattern that Headchange4U used in his initial post. I tried different ways to fold it and also tried it gathered like the warbonnet is, but we ended up going back to folding 5 times inward toward the center on each side and then we whipped the end with paracord. There is a good video on Youtube about whipping the ends on a search for DIY Quick & Easy Camping Hammock

What I like about doing this ourselves is that we can take it apart and try different methods to see how comfortable it is. We ended up going back to the original fold method that Headchange4U recommended. Thanks for letting us know you liked it. It is definitely rewarding to make something you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by sdveirs View Post
    That third picture showing the pull out and zipper really shows off your craftsmanship. GREAT job. Makes me really want to do this. Has anyone determined how much this project costs? I really can't afford to buy a Henny or anything nice that is over $100.

Thanks!
    Scott

Thanks Scott. The cost like anything will really depend on what you want to put into it. The initial prototype I made using "undetermined fabric content" material from Wal-Mart and taking a zipper out a sleeping bag I wasn't going to use anymore probably cost me $20. Our final cost for everything we made was close to $300. But we have two complete sets of Hammock with bug netting, JCPenney puffer jacket TQ & UQ, Hex Tarps, snakeskins, whoopie slings, tree huggers and compression bags to put it all in. I ordered most of our supplies from DIY Gear and they were great. I would highly recommend them. They also have DIY tutorials on there. A friend of mine with a Warbonnet BlackBird (which is super nice) paid much more than that for just one set of all listed above.

Hammock
    Chrysalis
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    No-Sew PLUQ
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Hey guys.

Instead of Velcro, how about sewing little square pockets and enclosing rare earth magnets on one side and say dimes on the other side?

It will add weight but possibly more durable.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    Since re-rolling and re-whipping costs nothing and can't make it worse, you're silly for not trying that first. I personally don't like Headchange's method and much prefer the Risk/Hennessy method. But I've also had some surprising success from the "fold in half/scrunch into a messy ball and whip" technique as well. In a nutshell: unwhip, re-roll, and try it again.

Oh, and what FF said: smile a little!
    Hi there Terceiro,

I am very keen to find this Risk/Hennessy role method. Can you please pm me with a link. I haven't been able to find it. Cheers mate.

Ghillie

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    800FP Downtek
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice writeup! Quite helpful!

Hammock
    DIY Single layer Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/ Whoopie
    Cant Thank you enough for providing such wonderful instructions, I made my first hammock and it turned out great using Walmart $1 Nylon

DSC00582.jpg DSC00583.jpg
    DSC00584.jpg IMAG0348.jpg
    IMAG0347.jpg
    Last edited by New2trees; 04-29-2014 at 00:30.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How did you get your zipper to come fully off? I can't seem to find anywhere that will sell zippers long enough that have the end part that dis-attaches. Any ideas would be great thanks as I am wanting one that the netting can come off fully.

Ghillieshot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast