Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Images
    I will make mine as soon as my supports show up. I was going to make it this weekend, but I am still waiting on my supports.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Well I checked another Big Lots, Target, ****'s, 2 more WalMarts, and a Family Dollar for the fleece sleeping bags with the correct zipper. No of them were exactly right. The closest zipper to what I need was found on some poly fill sleeping bags at Target. The only problem was that one zipper had a single pull and the other zipper was a double pull. These bags are only 9.00 each.

I really wanted to find fleece bags with the correct zipper so that I could use use the fleece. I don't really have a use for a 3lb poly fill bag, let alone 3 of them. I figure I can make a top quilt or just one as a picnic blanket and maybe keep one in my truck.

I'll be heading back to Target this morning.....
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    What about quest outfitters item #5053?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Coleman brand fleece bag only had one pull on the zipper.

But I just got an Ozark Trail brand fleece bag from Walmart for under $10. It has a 106" tooth zipper with two pulls in the standard sleeping bag style. Flip the sliders around and it'll work just like the TravelPod. Only separates on one end if you leave the stops on the end, but you can make it separate if you take the stops off and are careful not to lose a slider.

It also has a drawstring/cordlock at the head end, unlike the Coleman brand.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    My Coleman brand fleece bag only had one pull on the zipper.

But I just got an Ozark Trail brand fleece bag from Walmart for under $10. It has a 106" tooth zipper with two pulls in the standard sleeping bag style. Flip the sliders around and it'll work just like the TravelPod. Only separates on one end if you leave the stops on the end, but you can make it separate if you take the stops off and are careful not to lose a slider.

It also has a drawstring/cordlock at the head end, unlike the Coleman brand.
    My Big Lots fleece bags have double pulls on both zippers. I now know that this is not the norm. I'm glad to know what the Coleman Bags use. I found some at Target but they were packaged in a cardboard box so I couldn't look at them. It looked like from the pic on the box that the zipper did not go all the way up to the top of the bag. The were also 15.00 as compared to the 10.00 poly fill bags.

I ended up getting the Target brand poly fill sleeping bags. The bag has a single pull zipper AND a double pull. I will just have to postition the zippers so that the double pull zipper is near my head.

I would really liked to have used the fleece bags because I could do a lot more with the fleece material.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I know I am behind the times ( I was in Utah doing something else I like to do between trees, snowboarding ), but great job on the HH clone. Did you try the repeated folding method and the rolling method? How much difference do the tie outs make when you have them staked out versus not using them? Post some pics of the hammock in action. I also like the zipper conversation that has ensued. Now I have something else to keep an eye out for at the discount stores, zipper transplant doners.

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Ok, I've been inspired by this project to make my first home made hammock.
    I'm visiting my parents so I have access to a sewing machine. Even better I have access to somebody who loves me enough to feel pity when they see me looking at it very confused and offered to do the sewing for me.

I've tried to scale it up slightly from the one Headchange4u has done and based it on the dimensions for an Explorer, I've added a foot to the length and increased the tube sewn section from 8" to 1' (seemed like the thing to do)

Now I face the adventure of learning to whip it into an acceptable shape, I haven't attached tie outs since I haven't got my under quilt yet so I'm not sure about where they shall go. I've never seen a Hennessey in real life never mind been in one so I'm not to sure how it should feel.

Really stoked on what I have so far, I also had enough material left to get a set of skins
    Last edited by Drop; 03-06-2007 at 23:45.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Ok, I've been inspired by this project to make my first home made hammock.
    I'm visiting my parents so I have access to a sewing machine. Even better I have access to somebody who loves me enough to feel pity when they see me looking at it very confused and offered to do the sewing for me.

I've tried to scale it up slightly from the one Headchange4u has done and based it on the dimensions for an Explorer, I've added a foot to the length and increased the tube sewn section from 8" to 1' (seemed like the thing to do)

Now I face the adventure of learning to whip it into an acceptable shape, I haven't attached tie outs since I haven't got my under quilt yet so I'm not sure about where they shall go. I've never seen a Hennessey in real life never mind been in one so I'm not to sure how it should feel.

Really stoked on what I have so far, I also had enough material left to get a set of skins
    What are you making the hammock out of? Just wondering since it sounds like you're making the skins out of the same stuff...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    You are right to wonder BB because thats the fly in the ointment it appears to be DWR ripstop nylon, fine for skins but far from ideal for a hammock so I understand.
    It beads water, but water will pass through it when I gather it into a balloon and give it a squeeze, It doesnt seem very breathable, it's waxy to the touch, will fray on a cut edge.

I dont tend to sweat much when camping regularly and I slept on it last night (note on not in) in my bed to see if I awoke in a pool of liquid and it passed that test.

I did buy some untreated ripstop but a narrow width and probably too light to trust weight too. It was £0.20 a metre though so I bought the 10 metres or so that was left on the roll, I'm bound to find some use for it.

I have a question about the ridgeline through the whipping. If the knot internally is big enough to stop it pulling through would I be wise to attach my support to the external ends or should I stick to the tried and tested larks head with the whipping stopping it sliding off?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have a DWR nylon hammock and I have no problem with it being breathable or clammy against my skin.

As far as the internal ridge line, I opted to go for the standard larks head attachment for 2 reasons:

Using the standard attachment method for support lines (larks head) really helps lock everything together, especially the internal loop thingy for the ridge line. Once you lie in the hammock and the lark's head sinches tight I know everything is good to go.

I would not attach your support lines directly to the loop thingy (I gotta come up with a better name) because if you did that it would have a lot of strain and force on the ridge line and not much, if any, on the hammock body. My ridge line is not set up to take that much strain. Even the HH whipps the support lines to the hammock body.

Be sure to post pics when you are done, Drop.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast