Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    A modified fisherman's bend works pretty well. Tie an overhand knot> with the bitter end, form a loop> pass the bitter end back through the knot> make another overhand knot around the standing part> snug up and pull tight. Finish with shrink tube if so inclined.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    The bowline is known as the king of knots I believe.

Personally I would always choose a good knot over any kind of hardware. Ultralight and repairable in the field.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post

Personally I would always choose a good knot over any kind of hardware. Ultralight and repairable in the field.
    I think everyone should know knots... But I still like my hardware, I know with a truckers hitch I can do the same thing as a figure 9... And I have used truckers hitch for all my life, although it was called a non PC name for most of it... But the ease of using the figure nine is why I still throw it on my tarps...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    I will usually cut a piece of cardboard where there is a slot that is about 2 inches long, and as wide as 2 pieces of shock cord together. Lay the loop out and then the tag end of the loop where the shock cord lays together, place in the slot. In a thread injector, do a bar tack that is centered over the center of the 2 pieces, and sew the loop together. Then a bit of shrink ube to cover. Slim, no knots.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...776#post571776
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post

We all have our preferences, this is currently mine. I think in this situation, the knot would be my repair if there was a failure, so I have lost nothing, but gained a slim loop, finished off nicely. Looks tidy and I like tidy.

swank

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    I will usually cut a piece of cardboard where there is a slot that is about 2 inches long, and as wide as 2 pieces of shock cord together. Lay the loop out and then the tag end of the loop where the shock cord lays together, place in the slot. In a thread injector, do a bar tack that is centered over the center of the 2 pieces, and sew the loop together. Then a bit of shrink ube to cover. Slim, no knots.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...776#post571776
    i do it same way, but sew by hand. is better then lugging 4 hog-rings around
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I think everyone should know knots... But I still like my hardware, I know with a truckers hitch I can do the same thing as a figure 9... And I have used truckers hitch for all my life, although it was called a non PC name for most of it... But the ease of using the figure nine is why I still throw it on my tarps...
    I think I've settled on my ultimate, hardware free, easy to build and very easy to set up tarp suspension system.

It consists of separate lines on each end of the tarp. i.e. not a continuous ridgeline.

Each line is larks headed to the tarp.
    I take the line around the tree then back to the tarp creating a V.
    Each line is fitted with a prussic loop that has a large stopper knot on it's end.
    I push the stopper knot through the loop that is larksheaded to the tarp. Then tighten the prussic.
    It works like a button hole. Under tension it holds the knot. The 'button hole' can be made smaller if necessary by simply tying an overhand knot.

I find this system quicker and easier to use than my figure 9s or any other hardware I've tried. It is lighter obviously and easily repaired in the field. Although it has never failed on me yet.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I use cheap hair ties on my tarp I larkshead them onto the tieouts and then attach my lines to them.

They are a little flimsy, but I like that they will fail before the tarp or tieouts do.
    they don't weigh much so I always have extras with me

I think the last batch I bought was $1.00 for 20 of them
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpash View Post
    I use cheap hair ties on my tarp I larkshead them onto the tieouts and then attach my lines to them.

They are a little flimsy, but I like that they will fail before the tarp or tieouts do.
    they don't weigh much so I always have extras with me

I think the last batch I bought was $1.00 for 20 of them
    A great simple solution.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Interesting, I have been working on this today. I don't like the bowline, it's too big. I am looking at stainless hog rings as an option. Im thinking a short piece of heat shrink on top of that and a smooth loop. Heading over to west marine tomorrow.

swank
    Swank. your idea is excellent. I was thinking a hog ring was something differant. The pics are great. Thanks for sharing

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast