Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images

Muscle roller

I have hiked, and backpacked but never done anything or an extended period of time or many miles. In am thinking about doing a solo on a local 100 mile thru and wondering what most of you do for muscle soreness. When I go hiking and come home at nite I have a roller I lay on the floor and roll back and forth. When I backpack I am usually with a group and we move slow so it seems my body doesn't really get abused. I saw a stick travel roller on rei. Would make link if I was smart enough. Wondering about this. I know it will only be 4 to 5 day trip but what can I say I am kind of a wuss.

http://www.rei.com/product/831594/th...sager#specsTab

Hammock
    BMBH, Traveler
    Tarp
    Edge/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I think the stick would be a really good thing to carry for some self myofascial release on the trail. I love me a good foam roller when I'm at home, but it can be quite cumbersome on the trail.

Another alternative which may be more conducive to to taking out on the trail is to use a lacrosse ball. Because they are all rubber, they have a bit more density behind them compared to a tennis ball, but aren't quite as hard as a baseball. This makes it a little more comfortable. Additionally, they let you target individual spots a bit better than a stick would. A great example of this is putting the ball between a wall/tree/upright structure and leaning on it to target the exact spot you're feeling discomfort (works REALLY well for traps, all the muscles around the scapula, and the paraspinal muscles). Of course, you can do the same thing for hamstrings, quads, calves, IT bands, etc. You're only really limited by your creativity.

Also, being a tiny ball, they are lighter than the stick (if that's a concern), take up less pack space, and are about 25 bucks cheaper.

Just my two cents, but I've had really good success using them for day to day use, and I don't see why they wouldn't work quite well on the trail.

I've actually done this on logs before. Not so much rolling, but pinning the affected muscle, quads and hams mostly, and moving them thru the range of motion while compressed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    +1 on lacrosse ball.
    Brady

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas guys. Appreciate it.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I have one of these stick roller things. I like it but it's too heavy for me to consider hiking with. What about a chopped down section of a foam roller? Lighter and could be used to sit on?

S

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Or you could just walk slower like you do in a group. That doesn't weigh anything and doesn't take up any pack space.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I was thinking of weight is an issue, a little hard plastic ball from a kids toy set might work. Not going to have the cushion of a lacrosse ball but it could work.
    Brady

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    HG cuben w. doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Hi
    I have for years used a rubber bouncing ball at home for sore muscles. It works well against the floor or the wall, and realeases the thumb which can get sore quickly. This I have brought with me on hikes and it works great also in the hammock where you can press the ball against your muscles or roll under your feet with the palm of your hand. Putting it between the hammock and your back to apply pressure to a muscle myose also works fine for me. The one I have weigh 42 grams or 1.5 oz.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    HG cuben w. doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Hi
    I have for years used a rubber bouncing ball at home for sore muscles. It works well against the floor or the wall, and realeases the thumb which can get sore quickly. This I have brought with me on hikes and it works great also in the hammock where you can press the ball against your muscles or roll under your feet with the palm of your hand. Putting it between the hammock and your back to apply pressure to a muscle myose also works fine for me. The one I have weigh 42 grams or 1.5 oz.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast