Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Lightbulb Canada>Alberta>Somewhere Stealthy>February??

Hello, just trying to see if anyone in the Alberta region of Canada, or anywhere else for that matter, would be interested in a stealthy hang sometime in Feb. It would be mid week and towards the middle of the month. I was thinking maybe somewhere east of Edmonton, there are a few tracts of crown land that are fairly large; or maybe in Elk Island there is a winter group site that is a good hike in and no nead for stealth. Just post your feedback if interested, and maybe we can all decide on a local.

Sincerely .... Snide Tripod

P.S. Is there a Hammock group here in Alberta , or is everyone just kind of solo at the moment. If not, we should start one.
    Last edited by snidetripod; 01-25-2013 at 23:33. Reason: grammar
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    sure, form an Alberta group after I move west.... I like this idea though, I could be convinced to come back for a visit if we have enough interest.
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    Good idea. The group area at Elk Island may not be the best though, depending on how many might show up. I've hung there a couple of times. The area is open space suited for tents. What trees are there are limited and they are small and tight.
    I'd definitely be interested. Keep us posted.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I thought so, I have not been in there for quite some time. I think Blackfoot or Ministik may be good choices then. I'll keep an eye out next week for possible locations. Hope everyone has a GPS.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So I think that I have found a good place to do this hang. All I need to do now is confirm the dates with my schedule and it's a go. I will post in this thread the details as they present themselves. Thanks. I hope more interest is shown. Maybe there just aren't enough hangers out west here in Alberta and surrounding area!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair / HH Explorer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    OWL/Loco Libre
    I have great experiences hammocking on Crown Land. Southwest of Sundre and west of Chain Lakes. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,18071.0.html Alberta has a wealth of incredible nature experiences. I would be very interested in getting involved in a group hang. There are some fellows in the V-strom community that might be interested as well. On the following link click "Public Land Use Zones" on the drop down menu for the map to get info for Alberta Crown Land.
    http://srd.alberta.ca/MapsPhotosPubl...s/Default.aspx
    Looking forward to hanging with some of you in the coming months.

Phil

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    glad to see there is a little interest in this. Wonder if we would get more takers in warmer weather ??
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Warm Weather. Psha... LOL! Thanks for the links. They will be a great resource for me to plan this and future hangs.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    Hello, just trying to see if anyone in the Alberta region of Canada, or anywhere else for that matter, would be interested in a stealthy hang sometime in Feb. [...] I was thinking maybe somewhere east of Edmonton, there are a few tracts of crown land that are fairly large; or maybe in Elk Island there is a winter group site that is a good hike in and no nead for stealth.
    I'm puzzled by something, why would stealth be required for camping on Crown land? Unless the Crown land in question is specifically designated as not for camping because of some sort of special regulatory overlay, you should be able to camp on it without having to be "sneaky".

My wife and I have camped on Crown lands for years and do so almost exclusively as we find it more enjoyable than camping in parks (for a variety of reasons), but this is the first I've ever heard of one having to be sneaky about it. Are the provincial Crown land regulations in Alberta so different from other parts of the country in this respect?

- Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PineMartyn View Post
    I'm puzzled by something, why would stealth be required for camping on Crown land? Unless the Crown land in question is specifically designated as not for camping because of some sort of special regulatory overlay, you should be able to camp on it without having to be "sneaky".

My wife and I have camped on Crown lands for years and do so almost exclusively as we find it more enjoyable than camping in parks (for a variety of reasons), but this is the first I've ever heard of one having to be sneaky about it. Are the provincial Crown land regulations in Alberta so different from other parts of the country in this respect?

- Martin
    I was not aware that it was cool to camp on crown lands. Great. The place I was thinking of however, does not approve of overnight camping. With the aforementioned maps, I should be able to narrow down a great spot to do a legal hang.

Thanks for the info, and happy hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast