Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images

Mitered Corners for Tarps

I was congested last night, so early in the morning I came downstairs and fell asleep in the recliner. I woke up and checked what was on and saw a sewing program on PBS, so I switched over to it. When I tuned in they were showing a technique for making mitered corners for place mats. Later I went down to the injector to give it a shot on some scraps.

First you make your rolled hem on both sides of the corner one side at a time. In the show they pressed the fabric. I don't use an iron on SIL, and the creases go away quickly, so for these pictures I made the fold and ran a sharpie down the edge so they would show up. After creasing each side in turn, lay flat and trim as shown here.

Next roll the newly cut edge. This photo shows the first fold. It is critical that the next fold is at the intersection shown here.

Now go back and roll each side. I normally don't pin much, but I had to for this to stay. Then you just run your stitching along the hem and make the turn. Finished corner from both sides.

I think if I use this technique in my winter tarp I'm making I will sew the mitered corner hem first, then place my reinforcement and roll normally.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    The advantage is strength in the corner I'm assuming... Anything that makes that connection point stronger seems wise to me...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for posting this. I'm going to try this in a project I'm working on (not a tarp).

Please post pictures of your winter tarp if you use this method.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    I woke up and checked what was on and saw a sewing program on PBS, so I switched over to it. When I tuned in they were showing a technique for making mitered corners for place mats. Later I went down to the injector to give it a shot on some scraps.
    I'm glad someone watches television Saturday mornings. To tell the truth if I do happen to watch something Saturday it's cooking shows, but suddenly I feel the urge to watch some sewing... Good explanation, I may have to give this a shot on a few scraps myself

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    thanks for that. I knew there was a better way to deal with the corner when the edges are rolled than what I do. Sometimes I just roll the corner in and then the sides (this works for 90 degree corners). When I'm lazy I just roll one edge and then the other. You shown a nice clean way to do corners.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Very nice ad some gross grain on that and a D ring and presto you have some darn strong ends.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahamockman View Post
    Very nice add some grosgrain on that and a D ring and presto you have some darn strong ends.
    And you could leave off the D ring. Grosgrain is strong stuff. I use 3/8" wide, and haven't had any wear problems on tieout loops.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    The advantage is strength in the corner I'm assuming... Anything that makes that connection point stronger seems wise to me...
    The only advantage is in it being a much neater corner - there's no strength advantage here, the corner is not necessarily being subjected to any stress.

Also, because you're stitching continues instead of ends at each fold, you're eliminating thread ends in two places- much neater!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    The only advantage is in it being a much neater corner - there's no strength advantage here, the corner is not necessarily being subjected to any stress.

Also, because you're stitching continues instead of ends at each fold, you're eliminating thread ends in two places- much neater!!
    Remember this was shown for making placemats. A mitered corner is far superior for that application because it sits better and flatter on the table. A tarp does not face that kind of usage. The mitered corner is easier on a square corner although not impossible on something else. A hex tarp with cat cuts would be a bit more finicky to accomplish. This is not to say the technique is not useful for a tarp, but I personally don't think I would put the effort into it for my own gear. But to each their own.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The mitered corner is easier on a square corner although not impossible on something else. A hex tarp with cat cuts would be a bit more finicky to accomplish. This is not to say the technique is not useful for a tarp, but I personally don't think I would put the effort into it for my own gear. But to each their own.
    I've made mitered corners for years making kites. Its really not much extra effort since you're making the folds anyway and a cat cut hex hex is only a little more difficult (been there, done that). One benefit that hasn't come up is that you're sewing through a few less layers in the corner where the folds overlap...a little less stress on your machine and less chance for something to jam up due to the extra layers.

• + New Posts