Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

4 Season Hennessy

I'm contemplating buying a Hennessy Hammock. I'm looking to purchase only one hammock to be used for 4 seasons. I live Michigan and do limited winter hanging. Thanks all.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The hammock is not the issue in terms of 4 season use. Pretty much any hammock can be used year round. What changes are bigger tarp for weather protection and armer top and under insulation.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The hammock is not the issue in terms of 4 season use. Pretty much any hammock can be used year round. What changes are bigger tarp for weather protection and warmer top and under insulation.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My coldest hang was in a HH (-17F) and the only issue I ever had was untying the HH rope suspension. Tight, icy rope plus cold fingers equals difficult break down. Add whoopies or straps and that issue is quickly overcome.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    As mentioned above, the hammock is not primarily the issue, BUT, the HH Deep Jungle is a double layer that comes with a relectix insulating pad, which can be a very big help.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There was a suggestion in the Hennessy website that recommended another hammock other than the Jungle as a 4 season hammock. Just wondering if that was just marketing or not.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I hadn't seen that, but I was just making the sugestion that it, or any other double layer hammock, would be a good start.

One of the beautiful things about a hammock is that it is a modular sleep/shelter system---adaptable to almost any forecast conditions. With the proper selection of a variety of components, one can use the same hammock to camp in the jungles of deepest, darkest Africa to the arctic conditions of deepest, darkest Canada.

A double layer offers protection against mosquitoes biting through the fabric, while also allowing the insertion of an insulating pad. But its the under and top quilts, along with tarps or socks that will allow the hammock to be used in the coldest conditions.
    Last edited by sargevining; 01-27-2013 at 16:59.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I used my HHDJ XL down in the 20's with HG UQ &TQ and I was toasty warm. I also love it in the summer, but when it gets really hot, I just sleep in the air conditioning.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    There was a suggestion in the Hennessy website that recommended another hammock other than the Jungle as a 4 season hammock. Just wondering if that was just marketing or not.
    I wonder if you're thinking of the recommendation to use the HHSS (Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter) for 4 season use?

If so, the HHSS isn't a seperate hammock, but instead it is additional gear intended to provide additional weather protection/insulation to use during cold weather...in addition to your HH hammock.

It's comprised of an undercover, which is basically a nylon shell that fits up underneath the hammock like a second layer...an underpad, which is thin open cell foam pad which fits inside the undercover...and an overcover, which is another nylon shell designed to fit on top of your ridgeline/bug netting, preventing heat loss due to wind drafts. Additionally, a 'space blanket' is recommended to sit on top of the underpad, but outside of the hammock itself to act as a reflective vapor barrier.

It's had varying amounts of success, mostly dependent upon the users themselves. I've used it down to 22F with some pretty high winds, and adding in an additional fleece blanket as under insulation on top of the underpad.

I'm just thinking that this is the only thing I've seen referred to as "four season" on the Hennessy website, and so it's probably what you were thinking of as a seperate hammock...which it isn't.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Wolverine, I have spent 2 weekends in the deep of winter in michigan, last weekend and a month ago. I have a henessy hammock and it is the ultralight asym. I did buy the super shelter but ditched the open cell foam pad. Henessy will let you build your hammock so you can choose which parts you want. I do like and use the undercover. Perhaps i should get the over cover but i made a hammock sock. Also until now its been nice to be in the cold with it since I have a hammock gear 0 deg underquilt. The underquilts rule for the cold. Like someone else said any hammock can be used for winter its just how you insulate it that matters.

• + New Posts