wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images
    im currently using a mountain hardwear lamina 35 unzipped as a top quilt (until i get mine all sewn up). i have no complaints, it packs small for a synthetic,you can get it for about $100, comes in at about 2# if i remember right, and has kept me warm into the low 30's. like i said im planning on upgrading, but it wil probably always be my "go-to" bag.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Don't overlook the JRB Sierra Stealth.... 40-45*, 16 Oz, packs to7x7x5 and under $ 190 with reduced 2013 pricing.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A fleece sleeping bag from WMT will do it for under $20.00. Works well with a pad.
    Packs small + light weight = bring your wallet.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

If super pack ability and weight and price are your main objectives, get a lafuma light 800 or the like. Should do fine in 65 and above weather. I even have one I might be willing to sell you if your looking.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Fleece sleeping bag from LL Bean. $25, small light, can be unzipped and used as an Underquilt, too!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have seen these fleece sleeping bags and thought about them. Was wondering if they would be as effective as something with an outer shell for protection from the elements (wind, moisture).

Pan, The Sierra Stealth seems pretty awesome. Outside of my price range at the moment but still awesome. 16oz...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Consider a military poncho liner for summer
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    You've managed to stumble across the dilemma facing pretty much everyone who tries to go ultralight. "Ultralight weight, warm, low cost. Pick two of the three." DIY can lower the cost significantly if you've already got the tools and skills...but it probably won't if you're just starting out. Prototyping and the cost of the tools involved will wind up being about the same as a set of quilts would bought from a vendor.

If you're looking for 60*+, ~1.5 lbs, and don't mind your quilt not being the most packable item in your kit, I second the poncho liner suggestion above. Good to ~45* F for most folks, ~1.5 lbs, wide enough to use with ease on the ground, and ~$20 to ~$40 depending on where you buy. Only drawback is that it's synthetic fill, which winds up being less packable than down (I can get mine down to ~2 or 3 L of volume if I use a compression sack).

If you're looking for a relatively easy DIY, look at Climashield APEX 2.1. You can get it at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (click on the "Insulations" tab) for $12.95 a running yard. Three yards'll be more'n enough for a top quilt. Coupled with either 1.1 oz ripstop (available at DIY Gear Supply for $3.20 a running yard; 5 yards should be enough) or Nobul1 (0.67 oz/sq yd and available at TI Goat for $7.50 a running yard--note that this fabric is so light that it's somewhat difficult to work with on a first, second, or even third project), you can have a quilt that is sub one pound and good to ~45* F for most folks when wearing a regular base layer. Call it $54.85 for 1.1 oz/sq yd seconds from DIY Gear Supply before shipping or $76.35 for Nobul1 from TI Goat before shipping. So, ~$100.00 for the most expensive option, after shipping and thread and such. Call it 18 oz for a full-sized quilt (60" wide by 90" long) with the 1.1 shell or 15 oz for a full-sized with the Nobul1 shell. If you go smaller (like most folks do with quilts), you can get that down to ~16 oz with the 1.1 shell with standard quilt sizing (78" long, 54" wide at the top, 40" wide at the foot box) and ~13 oz for the Nobul1 shell with standard quilt sizing.

Otherwise, there are multiple vendors out there that offer 40*+ top quilts that are around one pound and reasonably priced for cottage offerings. Most (if not all; if you find one for less, let me know!) will run you over $100 for a high-quality down quilt. Which is the same price range as a high-quality sleeping bag for the same temperature rating, but less weight.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I saw a poncho liner tq (search pltq in the websites search bar) that weighed 14 Oz and cost 20 bucks. They did modify the liner by cutting away fabric to a manageable tq size along with grosgrain and shock chord for a foot box. Because the poncho liner is bigger than one needs a tq to be.

I bought one to do this as well, only at my army surplus store the poncho liner cost 30 bucks. Not bad.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    DIY is the only way I can recommend getting all three of your points. However, I find that a good UL top quilt is cheaper than an UL Sleeping bag for instance: http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-40/ is a nice TQ and is $199 vs. http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s&ContentId=69 which is a nice sleeping bag that is ~$350. The Burrow is less weight, less money and I found to be just as warm.

Again with the DIY, here is my DIY Summer bag: M50 Summer Top Quilt and it cost me ~$130 with shipping is good to 40F and only weighs 10.2oz. I've included the plans on how to make it as well.
    I've used it in the hammock and on the ground. Works great for both.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast