Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Montbell idea

Anyone tried sewing shockcord to the bottom of each baffle on an underquilt?
    In theory it would snug the quilt up against the bottom of the hammock no matter how you move.

Was thinking about doing it just seeing if anyone has tried the idea and maybe it does not work well?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    Anyone tried sewing shockcord to the bottom of each baffle on an underquilt?
    In theory it would snug the quilt up against the bottom of the hammock no matter how you move.

Was thinking about doing it just seeing if anyone has tried the idea and maybe it does not work well?
    Tom,

I used flat elastic like that in the first prototypes of the SnugFit Underquilt. It will snug the quilt up against the bottom of the hammock quite well. Like most everything, it has its tradeoffs. One that you might not see coming is that type of suspension reduces the insulated area because of the elastic action, which means you have to make the insulated area longer (or wider, depending on how you are doing it) for the suspension system to work.

Most of the underquilts use either a free hanging suspension, a snug fitting suspension, or some hybrid of those two. A free hanging suspension is one you somewhat loosely hang under the hammock and hope you come into contact with it when you get into the hammock. The term 'fit' is relative with a free hanging suspension and you play around with whatever you can to get the best fit.

A snug fitting suspension actually raises the underquilt to the bottom of the hammock, likely when you aren't even in it. Since it makes a snug, or somewhat firm contact it is susceptible to compression from that contact. The shaping of that underquilt becomes more critical for that scheme. It the shaping isn't right you will be worse off than with the free hanging suspension, but it the shaping is right and it 'fits' you will be much better off.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Ok i understand what you are saying about the reduction in insulated area.

Would this still affect it if you were using the diferentially cut shells?
    maybe using it exclusivly under the legs where there tends to be a gap then using regular suspension for the body portion of the quilt?

Images
    Ok i understand what you are saying about the reduction in insulated area.

Would this still affect it if you were using the diferentially cut shells?
    maybe using it exclusivly under the legs where there tends to be a gap then using regular suspension for the body portion of the quilt?
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'differentially cut shells'. If you have baffles, they should be differential also and radially spaced to get the fit right for a snug fitting suspension. Without a good fit, the snug fitting suspension will cause a lot of compression.

It would help me with the leg idea if you defined a regular suspension.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    using a stretchy suspension like on JACKS quilts is what i mean.

Using a inner shell that is smaller then the outer shell to create the curve.

Images
    using a stretchy suspension like on JACKS quilts is what i mean.

Using a inner shell that is smaller then the outer shell to create the curve.
    JBR added a suspension line to the middle area of their quilts on the foot end not too long ago to help with that.

If all you do is to use an inner shell that is smaller than the outer shell to create the curves with a baffled quilt, then I'm not sure how well that will work. I think it will depend on the specifics of the suspension system as well as how big the quilt is and just how you go about making the inner shell smaller than the outer shell. Larger quilts are more difficult to get the fit right than smaller quilts... just like wide closed cell foam pads tend to buckle while narrower ones don't. I don't think it would work all that well with a snug fitting type suspension system like used with the SnugFit Underquilt. It would likely help with a free hanging suspension suspension system or some type of hybrid suspension system.

When you don't do any shaping with the internal baffling and just adjust the inner and outer shell differential by cutting the inner shell smaller, seems to me you are only shaping around the edges of the quilt and not so much the central areas of the quilt. To shape the central areas of the quilt you have to do things in those areas of the quilt to create differentials between the inner and outer shells as well and that is usually done with differentially shaped baffles and/or radially spacing the baffles.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yea i would be using radially spaced baffles and a few other ideas i have to test too hoping to make a quilt that is alot differant then what i have seen out there.

• + New Posts