Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hennessy Underpad Substitute

I have a Deluxe Explorer and the Supershelter. I love the entire system, but hate the underpad. It is flimsy and tears and rips up way too easily.

What can I use as a substitute to the underpad that would work as well? Will an auto reflector placed in the undercover substitute for both the space blanket and the CCF pad?

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    I have a Deluxe Explorer and the Supershelter. I love the entire system, but hate the underpad. It is flimsy and tears and rips up way too easily.

What can I use as a substitute to the underpad that would work as well? Will an auto reflector placed in the undercover substitute for both the space blanket and the CCF pad?
    I am curious what people are doing to tear them.. I used one for most of a summer and never had that issue, looked as good as the day I bought it when I sold it.
    I have thought about making my own just so I could have the slot in the pad as well.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

The pad itself is pretty flimsy. I think uneven weight on them could tear them!

I think a big problem is the pack up and unpack process. I ditched the bag it came in and use a waterproof compression sack and its a pretty tight fit (although bigger than the original bag). I think it tears coming in and out.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    The pad itself is pretty flimsy. I think uneven weight on them could tear them!

I think a big problem is the pack up and unpack process. I ditched the bag it came in and use a waterproof compression sack and its a pretty tight fit (although bigger than the original bag). I think it tears coming in and out.
    ok.. I always kept mine rolled in original bag.. I wonder if just stuffing it has caused the issue.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

I was able to get it into the original bag, but am using the waterproof sack because it has a more rugged exterior and adds waterproof protection to the pad.

I roll it up and put it in but it requires some maneuvering. Maybe I just need to cut my nails

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've only used mine once so far. I don't find it excessively flimsy, but it is thin. I was thinking of using a thicker piece of OCF and remaking the pad using the original as a template.

Would an OCF pad work better than a CCF? Also, would using a windshield reflector adequately replace both the space blanket req. and the pad?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm not sure on either counts. When we started hammock camping last summer, we used an OCF and windshield reflector. Worked wonderfully down to 2*C. I just got the SS and used it in the backyard at -2*C with the addition of my usual OCF and the bubble pad. I was cool by morning.
    The bubble pad makes a great wind break, which isn't needed with the SS installed, and I'm sure it adds some insulation, but I don't think it adds that much.

Interesting.. The coldest I've taken the SS is to about 48F. I didnt use any in hammock insulation, just the undercover, underpad, and space blanket. Inside, I just used my 20* down bag as a top quilt. I was very toasty, even a little warm.

I'm really looking for a solution that will incorporate the underpad and space blanket together, and curious is a windshield reflector would do both. I'll have to do some testing. Tough here in sunny FL to get good conditions.

I'll be doing portions of the AT in March, so it'll be a bit chilly and wish I could do some testing.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    This is a good Question. I have thought about it many times and have been researching all day. I also have the super shelter but the ocf i ditched quickly since it was too bulky. The synylon ss undercover is brilliant however and i keep thinking up thing to put in there. Here is where i am at right now.
    I have a hammock gear under quilt and expect to carry the weight in the winter but for spring and fall and a bit of summer i think i will put raw insulation between the layers. I bought polarguard delta some years ago and never used it. I pulled it out and thought what do i care if it has a nylon shell i can just sandwich it between the hammock and the undercover. I was however thinking about a diff insulation more flat and not bulky like a thinsulate or maybe primaloft one. Any ideas on what the thinner insulation would be if i only want 1/4 in thick? Also what do you guys think of my idea?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast