Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    +1 on the likelihood of the socks being too tight.

I wear a pair of socks that isn't tight at all when sleeping. If I expect it to get cold I'll wear a second pair - only a good bit looser than the first. Lastly, make sure your toes aren't pressed too far into the end of the quilt/bag so avoid losing loft.

Let us know what finally solves the issue for you.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You need the right dry socks and the right foot pad.
    Socks should not compress too much. Insulating value will be retained and air and the sock fibers can carry away moisture from freshly perspiring feet.

The pad should not be too hard, or else a bone in your foot, say your heel or ankle, will part the tissue and come in close proximity to the pad. That can be immediately uncomfortable or grow uncomfortable from concentrated heat flow out of the bone.

But a firm-enough pad will distribute the load of your feet and legs over the down or polyester fill in the foot box, allowing it to retain more loft and insulating value.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 01-28-2013 at 13:22.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Options

Toe Warmers + Hot Water Bottle.

I sympathize with the cold feet. The rest of me stays nice and warm, but I don't have the best circulation in my toes, so I have to focus on keeping them warm.

I do the water bottle first and if that doesn't do the trick, then the toe warmers.

I have been struggling somewhat with keeping my feet in the quilt as well as my left shoulder (in a WBBB). The general issue is the hammock is designed to lay diagonally but the UQ is not. I have played around with using a piece of shock cord and tied to the little D-rings and clipped to the ridge line using a binder clip. I put one length of cord at the foot end, and one at my left shoulder in order to contort the UQ to the diagonal. This does seem to help, but might be overkill. I also imagine that if I move around too much the binder clip is gonna pop off! I am going to have a go just using the existing suspension as Shug demonstrated in his vid.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I would suggest this fold up a warm pad in the middle of the fold put some reflectix (bubbly kind the foil will just condense) then I would put some hand warmers in the foot box. And then do what shug does.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    I use my JRB Down Sleeves as booties when sleeping in cold weather.... Toastie and dual use.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    I use my JRB Down Sleeves as booties when sleeping in cold weather.... Toastie and dual use.

Pan
    This makes so much sense, it's ridiculous!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I have cold feet as well. I even wear socks to bed in the summer at home. It doesn't matter how toasty the rest of me is, my feet get cold when I sleep. I've faced the fact that the only thing that seems to work for me is using toe/hand warmers. I use either one large 10+ hour one in the bottom of a sleeping bag (stuffed into a sock) or one in each sock.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad and Bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So I'm not the only one! Feet are cold even in the summer. The problem I usually face is the sleeping back/hammock are wet only around my feet. I've begun to think my feet are hot and sweating and I just don't know it.

On my trip next week I'm going to forgo all of the extra insulation, hand warmers, etc... maybe try plastic bags as a VBL around my feet and see what that does.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Two tricks that work for me with a full-length underquilt:

1.) One pair of thick, loose wool socks (I've been using Wigwam brand recently); my feet sweat pretty bad (all of me does, actually), so down and even synthetic booties are suboptimal for me. I make sure that they're loose around my ankles and toes, in particular. If they're tight at all (and two layers of socks often are for me; I've not found two pairs that seem to fit right together yet), they cut off a bit of circulation in my feet, which keeps warm blood from flowing properly.

2.) An hot water bottle, inside a sock or mitten, held between my thighs against my femoral arteries. It acts as a secondary warmer for the blood flowing down into my legs. Also, if you place it into the hammock ~5 to 10 minutes before getting in, your quilts will also be nice and toasty. However, as always when dealing with water in cold weather, make sure the top is sealed! Nothing worse than getting your insulation wet. I like a wide-mouth Nalgene for this, as the top is easy to pour water into when your hands are cold (preventing wet fingers) and it seals well even with hot water.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast