Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy Suspension?

So I'm new to the hammock game, having gotten my hammock a couple months ago. I went with a HH Explorer Deluxe Zip model.

So far I love it, but everyone talks about how crappy the suspension is. I'm a noob, so I probably can't tell, but whats the problem with the stock suspension? Its pretty easy to put up and seems to work for me. Again, don't have much experience, so looking to figure out what it is that I'm missing out on.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used the stock HH lines with descender rings on a biner for quite a while. I was pretty easy to set up and adjust. The weight was the only bad thing about it for me. I switched my HH's suspension out for whoopie slings.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

I've been using the stock suspension, with the treehuggers and included line and has seemed to work well. What are the downsides to it, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing!

Images
    The stock suspension is simple, strong and time proven. There is nothing wrong with it. Folks change to other types of suspension because they are generally lighter and faster to adjust.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I used my HH suspension for a while just fine. The figure 8 knot holds fast and is easy enough. As was mentioned, most people will switch it out to save a bit of weight. Also, other suspension types are easier to make adjustments on once set up. The original suspension can take a little time to fine tune (tie, untie, retie) repeat!

Whoopies are fun.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Hey Mdandashly, welcome to the world of hammock. The stock Hennessy suspension works just fine. As others have said, folks change it out to save weight & bulk and to ease adjustments. If what you have works well for you, carry on.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The standard suspension works great and is very simple to use. But many folks like to go with something different for themselves, and this is one way to do it. Whoopie slings, for instance, are much lighter.

I've experimented with rings, for instance, and have had mixed feelings about them - they work but I'm concerned about what they're doing to the actual suspension materials.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For me, it was ease of set up. The Hennessy lashing--per side--took me a minimum of thirty seconds (usually closer to forty-five) to tie. About the same to untie. I'd have to do that a minimum of two or three times when I initially set up.

With descender rings or whoopies, it takes me approximately thirty seconds to set up each side...but, it takes me approximately two seconds per side to adjust. That's a savings of about five minutes on set up. I like things to be easy when I get to camp; I'm usually pretty tired after a long day on the trail or road.

Also, the descenders and whoopies are a lot easier to do when my fingers are cold (which, admittedly, isn't as much of a concern down here in FL).

So, that's why I switched. Not because the stock suspension is bad, or faulty, but because the other options out there are easier. That's all.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Easy of adjustment was the key for me. The progression was stock -> rings -> whoopies. Of course I ditched the Hennessy too, so it's moot.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    HH BPULA
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Skyhooks...
    The Hennessey lashing works fine but is not easy to adjust. I got two of the lightest climbing spec biners I could find, clip them into the tree huggers, and tie off the hammock lines with a simple clove hitch backed up with a slippery half hitch. Easily adjustable before you lock it off and the hitch just slips off the gate of the biner when you pack up in the morning.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast