Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

Hang from MSH but not on the knot

Does anyone slip a biner in place of the toggle, turn the biner long ways, then hook your whoopie into the biner using the screw/spring gate? Actually hooking the whoopie directly to the biner. It would take care of the problem of the whoopie slipping off the knot.

I remember a thread that said not to do it because the MSH wasn't meant to hold that kind of weight. But has anyone ever fallen when using the MSH to actually hold the biner with it pulling on one end? I did it this way for 3 days last summer and had no problem, maybe I was lucky.

Anybody else use the MSH this way?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I don't; I use a mini 'biner to prevent the whoopie from slipping off of the knot rather than to support the whoopie proper. The knot is doing all of the weight transfer, but the 'biner prevents the whoopie from sliding left or right off of it and provides a little "down" tension to keep it in place when there's little to no weight in the hammock.

If I was to try and hang off of the mini 'biner itself, well...let's just say that I hope I'm not hanging over anything sharp...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I use a 150 lb strength carabiner... Sliding the whoopie inside the carabiner so it doesn't slip off...

Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    The wife and I did just what you are talking about last summer in our tablecloth hammock with no problems at all. I've now changed to ring buckles as a slippery half hitch is easier to explain to friends than a correct MSH if they are setting it up.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you intend to clip the whoopie sling into the biner as your MSH toggle, be sure to use a climbing rated biner.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    FlRider and Brute1100 I also usually hang from the MSH in traditional manner. Brian Willan thanks for the safety check. And Burning Daylight good to hear it works for you.

Clearly, not many people clip their whoopies into the biner instead of on the knot. I will still keep trying it, on a careful basis, and report back after I feel very comfortable with it. A lot of people don't like the traditional MSH hang because they have had the whoopie slip off the knot. This alleviates that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    Does anyone slip a biner in place of the toggle, turn the biner long ways, then hook your whoopie into the biner using the screw/spring gate? Actually hooking the whoopie directly to the biner. It would take care of the problem of the whoopie slipping off the knot.

I remember a thread that said not to do it because the MSH wasn't meant to hold that kind of weight. But has anyone ever fallen when using the MSH to actually hold the biner with it pulling on one end? I did it this way for 3 days last summer and had no problem, maybe I was lucky.

Anybody else use the MSH this way?
    I remember this coming up a while back with a particularly passionate member advocating it. That person never had issues with it and you may not either. Its one of those things that will work 99% of the time but because the MSH is not meant to be used in this way, that 1% still exists. Try using a clove hitch. There's a video on youtube showing how to use it with a biner and it can be just as fast as the MSH but will be more secure. I have used it before. To make it easy to undo just make it slippery by putting a bight in the working end to finish it off.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    I used this method for a while with no problems as long as the MSH is tied correctly and a climbing rated biner is used.
    Red

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Bubba and Shotgunred thanks, I'm going to keep trying the MSH and also use the clove hitch to compare and see which I like more.

I think it's safe enough. I weigh about 370 currently, and I've slept on a pair of 20 kN carabiners used as the spike in a Marlin Spike Hitch in my tree straps. The biner and the nylon webbing didn't deform, and the knots came out easily after slipping them off the biner.

I've moved away from the system because I don't want to have more than a pair of carabiners on each rig, and I like having the easy use of a carabiner on each end of the hammock, under the tarp, where I can hang extra gear or get the bug net off & on more easily.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast