I've been meaning to do a bicycle tour of northern Florida for a year or so now, and I think I'll throw it out there for folks to chip in if they want to join.

Right now, I'm planning on a week to a week and an half in March or April of 2014, covering at least a coast-to-coast tour (from one coast of FL to the other), starting in St. Augustine and ending in Cedar Key. I'm thinking of hitting some of the springs as overnight side trips along the way, but that might be a little ambitious for some folks. There's also a lot of beautiful horse country near that route; I may work some of that in as day trips as well.

I figure on covering about thirty to fifty miles a day (fairly flat terrain; none of FL is particularly mountainous) on average, for an easy-going pace, with various stops along the way in small towns and sites of interest. Most of the touring will be along roads, so safety is a must (smart people ride single file, to keep their numbers[/AlecGuinnessVoice]), but amenities will be plentiful and easily available most of the way.

The majority of the overnight stays will likely be at wilderness management areas (free, but includes few amenities; bring your own water treatment method and cat hole trowel), with a couple of stops at either state parks (if the pilot program going on now convinces the state that allowing LNT hammockers is a good idea; requires a fee, but has amenities), developed private campgrounds (near a few of the springs; again, requires a fee and has amenities), or hotels/B&Bs (if the group desires, probably at the beginning and/or end of the trip).

Everything is still pretty nebulous right now, and I'm open to ideas for the trip if anyone has some. More information will be forthcoming as the date approaches (I'm going to try and time this so that it falls during the same week as my wife's Spring Break, and the dates for next year's school calendar haven't been released yet); I just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else might be interested.