The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. I actually have a couple tarps cut just like that. Mine however are 12 ft ridgelines.
    Thanks! After reviewing the materials list and the diagram again, I don't think that 7 yds of fabric cut in half will total up to 11 ft.

3.5yds = 10.5ft right?

I think I'll order 8 yds and go with the 12 ft also. (or 12ft minus rolled seams all around)
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Yes, 8 yards would serve you well. The extra few inches would allow you to have slightly bigger doors. Looking at your pattern, I'd suggest using straight sides on the ends, but go with the cat cuts on the sides. The whole point of having the doors is to block winds (or horizontal rain) and the cat cuts there would make it harder to achieve closure.

I've made both the Winter Dream and the Hex tarps out of the PU camo. They have served well, and I recommend the patterns. Using silnylon will cut the weight in half.

I started with cutting out the two halves. Then I sewed the flat felled seam at the ridge line. Then, using the material left over from the cat cuts, I made the triangle reinforcements at the tie-out corners. Then I rolled a hem with two trips around the whole thing, adding webbing for tie-outs on the second lap.

A tarp is a perfect first sewing project, because there are miles of stitching involved, so you're getting some real work in. Fabric management is the key (so you don't sew the ridge line to the middle of one of the sides). On the other hand, it's like auditing a class, because when you get it set up no one can tell if your ridge line seam is centered, or whether the cat cuts are exactly the same.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Just wrap up any loose ends for those researching this matter, I have finished my tarp and have a new thread with a video and pics.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=72293

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: When it's all said an done...

I made a tarp using the winter tarp pattern on the diygs site as well, I'm pretty much a diy beginner and didn't find it too hard, just time consuming but good fun and next time I'll probably take half the time.

My tarp came in at 18oz in the stuff sack (although I havent seam sealed it or added panel pulls yet).

8 yards should be perfect for your tarp, although you may want to order an extra yard or to for stuff sacks, tie outs and small future projects, it never hurts to have extra.

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Hey Cowboy, wanted to throw you some Las Cruces love!

I can only suggest what I have experience with....See if you can find a Chinook 12x9 tarp. It's what I use all year round....

It's a great tarp, decently lightweight and packable. Best part it is, you may be able to pick one up for less than $40.

Then when you have the tarp, you can DIY a bit by adding webbing pullouts and other nice things to have in a tarp.

OTOH, $90 could get you a lot of nice material to work with!
    chinook is a canadian company i have a wholesale account with them, see what it would cost usa let me know and we can check the wholesale and shipping more likely cheaper
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y_hubs View Post
    I was debating over the Edge and the Tadpole, and since I started this thread, I've been trying to find a site that has the Chinook 12x9 instock (with no success yet).

If I only get one tarp for many years, I might as well make it a better quality and lighter one.

So now what.....

EDGE or TADPOLE?
    Chinook All-Purpose Tarp
    11010 (Dark Green) - 11011 (Sand) 9'6" x 9'6" 26.09
    11015 (Dark Green) - 11016 (Sand) 12' x 9'6" 29.61
    11020 (Dark Green) - 11021 (Sand) 14' x 12' 43.48

Chinook Guide Silicone Tarp
    11005 (Dark Green) 6'7" x 9'10" 58.42
    11018 (Dark Green) 9'10" x 12'10" 100.87

these are the canadian wholesale prices you'd have to add 13% canadian tax plus shipping
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thanks craige and Taliensin96, but per post #23, my tarp is complete.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123