Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images

First post and just wondering why...

I see posts where you guys are wearing lots of layers and down in addition to UQ's and TQ's at temps in the 20-30 deg range. Are the extra layers of clothes needed at these temps? Since this is my first post you can see I have NO EXPERIENCE in a hammock. I know it is comparing apples and razor blades but I have never even found it necessary to zip up my 20 deg down bag when ground sleeping (with a thermarest pad) and wearing a tshirt, flannel pj pants, and no socks at those temps and even lower. I am not sure I can or want to sleep wrapped up like a 7 layer burrito. I know you guys up near the Arctic Circle need that but what about in the South. Do you guys in the SE do this?

Images
    It depends upon the individual; some are "warm" sleepers while others are "cold", even using identical gear. Backyard hanging is a great way to find out what works for you.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Also depends on the gear choice. Someone who has a 20* UQ/TQ almost never needs to layer at temps in the 30's (unless they are a very cold sleeper). Almost all gear made by our cottage vendors are accurate at their temp ratings for the average person with very little clothing layering.

Some, however, buy UQ/TQ rated at 40* due to weight, size or because most of their camping is done in warmer temps. Then, when it does drop colder, they'll layer up.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome aboard Deadwood

As others have said, it depends on wether you are a hot or cold sleeper.

I'll also add that some use clothing as part of their sleep system... Allowing them, say, to take a 30*degree bag lower.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There is no "right" combination of insulation. Just some principles to remember, such as these.

Extra clothing will supplement your top insulation, but won't do much for your bottom insulation because your weight is crushing it. The same is true on the ground. Extra clothes don't entirely make up for a too thin pad. So, make sure you have a warm underquilt in a hammock or warm pad in the ground.

One approach is to use extra clothes to supplement your top quilt when needed. Another is to use a special top quilt, with a neck hole, that can be used as a jacket when needed.

You'll find that there are many options in hammock camping, mostly based on personal preference.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There is significant convective heat loss in a hammock vs the ground. IMO, for the comfort its a good trade off. Some people can even feel cool on their backs in 70 degree weather in a hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Also depends on the gear choice. Someone who has a 20* UQ/TQ almost never needs to layer at temps in the 30's (unless they are a very cold sleeper). Almost all gear made by our cottage vendors are accurate at their temp ratings for the average person with very little clothing layering.

Some, however, buy UQ/TQ rated at 40* due to weight, size or because most of their camping is done in warmer temps. Then, when it does drop colder, they'll layer up.
    ^^^ Exactly this!
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Deadwood, when I first bought my hammock, I didn't know about the whole cold bottom ordeal. My first night was out in 50* and I ended up freezing my *** OFF.

So I bought the HH SS system, which is basically an undercover and a pad and I've slept down to about 45* with just a 20* down bag used as a blanket on top of me with no clothing layers. I figure I can take this system down to the 30's with clothing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBBB 1.1 DL, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Hang your own hang. It's all about comfort and individuality. Just do what feels best for you!

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    My typical setup which will get me down to probably mid 20's 45*TQ 20* UQ I do wear a mid weight base layer socks and a balaclava and it works for me I stay pretty warm, but what works for me may not work for someone else .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast