Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

hammock shelter

I'm just wondering out loud here, but I was thinking... what if you wanted to build a trail shelter, like those on the AT, specifically to accommodate hammocks... what would that look like? Could existing shelters be retrofitted to accommodate hammocks - not inside the shelter, but as some sort of addition... what would that look like?

Over on WB, it becomes a discussion of whether shelters are good or bad, and why are hangers so special that they need accommodating. Looking to keep this discussion more technical in nature, or philosophical in terms of design only.

Anybody got anything down, or maybe just been rolling through ideas in their head? Most back sides of shelters are dead space, and my thought is that hooks or eyelets could be installed on the back wall with a minimal covering/roof and posts to complete the hang. Sometimes I feel as a hanger, that I'm a little separatist when it comes to camping around others - not always a bad thing, but if I could hang at the shelter with others, there are times that I would.

And actually, what got me thinking about this (again), was that I want to build something in my back yard... something sheltered yet open, and something that looks like a purposeful structure, not just a roof and posts. Any ideas?

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Some one, long ago, once posted a pic of a hammock hostel. It was very cool with open construction so you had a roof and a view.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    A shelter with a tall back wall, with eyelets on either side staggered a few feet apart as they go up the wall vertically, could be outfitted with a ladder to make a 'bunk hammock' kind of situation in the back of the shelter... I don't think it'd be terribly practical but it sure would be cool.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin
    in the smokies the shelters make an big U shape put hooks on the short sides and the middle and hang up after the grounders get into the bunks

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    Ed Speer once suggested a central post and multiple spokes radiating out from the post.

I've always thought that a shelter roof with six supports that would hold 5 hammocks would work nicely. (three perpendicular with the side with three posts, and two diagonal from the center to the outside corners.

There is a shelter on the AT along the Blue Ridge that has such a separate picnic table shelter. A hiking partner and I slept under that shelter one night in hammocks.
    Rick (Risk) Website: http://www.imrisk.com
    I cook. I sew. I walk. I lead. I hang. I write. I play.
    Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.amazon.com/Wildly-Success.../dp/B00COCI5HW

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, ENO DN, NW Aspen
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Natural body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    At the Scout camp we typically go to in the summer they have one or more open shelters for picnic tables / chuck box / cover from the weather. The posts are 6x6" with similar stout framework. Our boys hung their hammocks from one side to the other with very good results.

As you can tell there is no privacy or protection from a blowing rain. The guys enjoyed being side by side. These are all ENO hammocks and they have Slap-Straps. This was before I found the Hammock Forums and learned that Dyneema was a much better way to go.

GeezerScouter

BTW - the red items in the picture are cups. Each person was given a cup at the beginning of the week. Each person was required to put their name on their cup. After you finished using your cup, it had to be put back on the string that was hanging between the poles. If you lost your cup, you did without for the rest of the week. We found that it saved us a lot of time and money not having the boys constantly throwing away cups and going for another one. Cups and other personal articles that were left laying around were put on the Scoutmaster's Line of Shame. That wasn't my idea, but it helped greatly in keeping the camp site picked up.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It occurs to me that the easiest way to make a leanto type shelter hammock friendly would be to put up several cross beams that could be used like a turtle stand. Walls are good under compression (down) loads while the beams would keep from pulling the walls in. To me that would be a good shelter as it would also block the weather from 3 sides. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO DN, GTUL.
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10 Camo
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, yeti 0*
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB
    Heres my Hammock Bliss hanging in my dock house,

The biggest problem I have with shelters is the mice that stay in them and the feces/urine that is inevitably mixed in with dust. Filthy, nasty creatures, chewing up your gear. This is one thing that made hammock hanging away from the shelter very attractive to me. Just my two cents.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    The biggest problem I have with shelters is the mice that stay in them and the feces/urine that is inevitably mixed in with dust. ...

Good argument for just a roof on poles.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast