Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Remote, Natural Caves in Georgia or Alabama?

Does anyone know of some good hikes to any remote caves in Georgia or Alabama? Me and a friend are looking for some "untouched" caves to hike to and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGorge View Post
    Does anyone know of some good hikes to any remote caves in Georgia or Alabama? Me and a friend are looking for some "untouched" caves to hike to and explore.
    Caving is a fantastic sport that can get you killed if you don't know what you are doing. Some people think a statement like that is hyperbole. Get a copy of the National Speleological Society's Cave Accident Report, and you'll see it's not.

You're best option is to join a caving club--called a "Grotto." These friendly folk will help you ascertain your abilities and then introduce you to caves that meet your skill level.

Remember, an "untouched cave" only remains so when few people know about it or visit it.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Theres an awesome cave at the very end of Cloudland Canyon in Trenton, GA which is right on the AL/GA line. Its right behind someones house. We went to Cloudland state park, hiked into the canyon, and walked the entire length of the canyon to it, to avoid going thru these people's front yard. You pretty much have to know someone who knows where it is. Its long and freakin awesome though. During the wet seasons though it turns into an underground creek, so beware.
    Its totally wild, but you can find info about it on the net. We probably spent 4 hours in it. A few tight squeezes but some very nice open areas with formations.
    Actually, probably one of the most amazing things I've ever done in my life. It was cool as Sh***

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    We aren't going to be doing anything stupid. We just want to find some remote areas that are good for exploring that most people don't know about or try to go to.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks Taylo. Is there anybody on the forums that could possibly help find out how to get to it? Or post some directions to Cloudland Canyon?
    Last edited by TheGorge; 01-30-2013 at 15:50.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Its seriously where the canyon dumps into a new residential suburb. You look down from the mouth of the cave which is up against a small cliff, and you see a new white house. If you google it, you will find what you need. But I was with a local paramedic who knew all about it, I doubt I could find it again on my own. You need to figure out some locals or cool park ranger to talk to. It's worth it if you can find it.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I believe its called Sitton's Cave

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBBB 1.1 DL, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    "National Speleological Society's Cave Accident Report" say that 5 times fast! lol Not sure what kind of directions you were looking for but here is the link to the state park website. Might find some more info there about it. http://www.gastateparks.org/CloudlandCanyon

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    No offense, but the last thing I would ever do is post directions to something "untouched" on the web.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    No offense, but the last thing I would ever do is post directions to something "untouched" on the web.

I was thinking the same thing with 5 caves within a mile or so of my house that I have explored and nobody knows about. And I don't want them knowing about them either. I am sure a couple of them have the endangered Indiana Brown Bat in them too as I have done a couple of bat studies with DNR on shutting down a couple of horizontal coal mines in the past. Why don't you pm each other and keep it mums as the world is a small place anymore. No offense either. State of Indiana has also closed down all caves on State and Federal property in Indiana trying to contain the white nose bat syndrom also spreading and killing bats as they still don't have much knowledge about it and its spreading state by state as well.
    Last edited by Acer; 01-28-2013 at 19:17.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast