Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    I've got a silk mummy bag liner that I was intending to use just as you've described, but not having done so yet I wasn't sure if just that alone would be sufficient, overkill, or otherwise...not to mention other possibilities.
    I use a silk bag liner. The theory is that silk wicks perspiration and spreads it over a bigger surface where it evaporates faster and thus cooler than perspiration evaporating off your body.

I'm not sure it makes any difference when the temp is 105*, though, but I;ve had good expereinces in the 80* range.

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    Another low priced option is to modify a poncho liner into a top quilt like the one I made here:

You can pick one cheap at your local army surplus story or on eBay like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-USMC...item3f20f54f72

The weather in Mississippi is similar to South Carolina's and this top quilt served me well last summer. With proper venting its not too hot on those really warm nights and its heavy enough for those nights where there is a moderate temp drop 15-20 degrees. I've taken it down into the 50s and was still fairly comfortable. The only downside is its not quite as light and packable as some of the other options such as a silk/fleece liner or lightweight summer down TQ. The upside being its wide temperature range and low price. I also like TQs with built in foot boxes so after I modified mine I was really happy with how it came out.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images
    if weight and space isnt an issue, there is always a poncho liner.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    When the summer night temps > 80*, are you removing any/all UC.... or remove the insulating pad and leave the UC in place?

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Hare's a piece I posted last summer. Copied it on another thread recently.

I'm thinking about making a couple more for my kids and have come up with a couple of ways I thingk will simplify things considerably...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ho+liner+quilt

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    for me... if its not getting below 70*, which it rarely will during summer in south texas, i carried a sheet just a regular 200 thread count cotton sheet from walmart... they even sell them in a cotton stuff sack now which is handy, it has a little plastic snap closure for the lip i just snap the lid closed with the ridgeline inside it so it hangs off of my ridgeline till i need... IF i need it it gets deployed pretty quick, if not it gets dropped in the bag the next morning...

also, go to bed wet, it is against my winter judgements... but in summer getting in the water or at least pouring some water over your shirt before going to sleep will help cool you down when its still 90+, just make sure you have enough to drink in the morning...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustb2000 View Post
    Another low priced option is to modify a poncho liner into a top quilt like the one I made here:

You can pick one cheap at your local army surplus story or on eBay like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-USMC...item3f20f54f72

The weather in Mississippi is similar to South Carolina's and this top quilt served me well last summer. With proper venting its not too hot on those really warm nights and its heavy enough for those nights where there is a moderate temp drop 15-20 degrees. I've taken it down into the 50s and was still fairly comfortable. The only downside is its not quite as light and packable as some of the other options such as a silk/fleece liner or lightweight summer down TQ. The upside being its wide temperature range and low price. I also like TQs with built in foot boxes so after I modified mine I was really happy with how it came out.
    +1 on the poncho liner as a top quilt. I bought two one for a top quilt an the other was made into a PULQ ( poncho liner under quilt ). I'll use these for spring, summer and fall or till the temps drop below 45*. Carrying both is like two pounds in the back pack. Also on a side note you can use the poncho liner as an over cover in the winter to help keep heat in.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use a military poncho liner
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    for me... if its not getting below 70*, which it rarely will during summer in south texas, i carried a sheet just a regular 200 thread count cotton sheet from walmart... they even sell them in a cotton stuff sack now which is handy, it has a little plastic snap closure for the lip i just snap the lid closed with the ridgeline inside it so it hangs off of my ridgeline till i need... IF i need it it gets deployed pretty quick, if not it gets dropped in the bag the next morning...

also, go to bed wet, it is against my winter judgements... but in summer getting in the water or at least pouring some water over your shirt before going to sleep will help cool you down when its still 90+, just make sure you have enough to drink in the morning...
    a satin sheet works well. Plus 1 on the wet it and cover up method ,it works well.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I have a silk liner. It's not going to do much for anything below 70*.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast