WL night owl
    Tarp
    DIY green monster
    Insulation
    crappy sleepingbag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Under quilt...DYI, BUY or not needed?

I use a wilderness logic's night owl hammock and just recently made my own tarp. I will likely do most of my hammocking in three season weather, is there a large need for an under quilt? To be clear I live in Iowa so the fall and spring seasons are still pretty cold, but I don't think that I would be out much when it is cold enough to snow.

Most of the options that I see are rather expensive. If I was to decide that I wanted a quilt would it be considerably cheaper to make one? I feel like I saved a ton of money by making my own tarp. I just don't know if that same savings differential exists when you make an under quilt.

Lastly since I have a wilderness logic's hammock do I need to buy a Wilderness logic's under quilt?

I appreciate any advise, I will continue to use the search function to find answers to my questions but I thought I would put this on here in case I can't find what I am looking for.

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You're going to need some insulation be it a pad or UQ when it gets around 70 deg +/- as some sleep warmer than others. As for the brand of UQ you can use any vendor or DIY one. The savings going the DIY route truely isn't that much. Many including myself just enjoy making our own gear, the savings is a bonus.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    I hang in my bedroom, and I use a DIY synthetic UQ. Yes, you will need an underquilt for 3-season hanging! I have been sewing for years, and when boothill said he wanted to make our own down quilts, I thought he was crazy! They are quite a bit easier to make than I expected. (Plenty of info here on the forums!) We bought 2 down pillows off eBay for about $80 (?) and we got 2 UQ, 2 TQ, several pillows, and a pair of booties out of them.

If you make a synthetic UQ, they are even easier! Mine is 1.2" Climashield purchased from Thru-hiker, and I have been down to 40 degrees with it.

Hope this helps!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Making a down underquilt is also so much cheaper to. But you have to do some research. I would checkout this website if you want to know how and purchase the materials in fact he is a fourm member here and makes the shells for dirt cheep.
    http://www.underquilts.com/

To get your down I suggest getting some Wilderness Logics down. It is by far the easiest to put in and it is 850 fp which is fairly nice.

http://www.wildernesslogics.com/DIY-MATERIALS_c28.htm

Also if you want to make your own shell and use a custom fabric you can usually get your stuff from these suppliers.

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    WL night owl
    Tarp
    DIY green monster
    Insulation
    crappy sleepingbag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thank you guys so much, I am so glad that I decided to join this forum the people are so helpful!!!

I will continue to look into underquilts im still rubbish with the thread injector that I borrowed from my mother....I guess its time to call my aunt.

• + New Posts