Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images

20deg Incubator and Burrow test.

This weekend our Scout troop attended the district winter camporee. Friday night the lows were to be in the high 20s, but with high winds. I heard the wind chill factor was going to bring the temp down into the low teens. I had my 20deg quilts but was unaware that it was going to be that cold when packing. Luckly, I had also brought 2 PL, with one being a PlUQ. So I hung the PL under the Incubator hoping it would help block the wind. The other PL was under my legs, JIC. I did have the PLUQ pretty loose, so it wouldn't compress the down in the Incubator. I also placed a couple of coolers next to the tarp to help block the little gap at the bottom. 10 minutes in the hammock, and I had to start venting. The wind wasn't much of a factor for keeping warm. Those coolers and the PL held the wind at bay.

Saturday night was another story, no or very little wind. But it also felt cooler. By the time I went to lay down, there was frost forming on the tarp. I was warm, until early morning. I was feeling a little chilled, so I pulled the PL from under my legs and and tryed to wrap it around my arms and chest. Didn't get it around to well, but it was enough. Woke up twice during the night for the call of nature, and it was cold out. Both times I was glad to get back into the hammock, and the warmth of my quilts. The last time was at 5:30 and I was just barely warm. Fell back to sleep and woke up at 7. I had frost on the edges of my hammock. I went to my truck, to check the temp, 16deg, no wonder I got chilled.

Guess I'll have to get a 0 deg set before next years winter camporee......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey man, Thanks for posting your review. I am trying to decide whether to get a 20* or 0* set myself. I haven't done any winter hanging yet and I don't think I'd be out there with below freezing temps. I'm leaning toward getting a 20* set for now. I have a HG Crow's Nest, which is now called the Phoenix. With two oz. overstuff it should be good down to around 30*. I like the idea of a full uq though, especially when it's cold out.
    I have a couple of PL's too. I was going to make a PLUQ out of one of those but haven't had time to do it yet. It sounds like the PLUQ did a good job of keeping the wind off for you. I like reading all of the reviews on here and also redaing everybody's trip reports. Take care and thanks again for posting. HH.

What hammock were you using? I wonder if you had an over cover or a sock would you have been able to get those extra 10 degrees. I'm looking at the 20* incubator myself with the Dangerbird and a bottom quilt protector. Our scouts usually have around two trips a year with temps in the teens. But i can't justify a 20* and a 0* set.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    My hammock is a DIY DL 1.1 double stretch side, 11' long. The sock my have been enough to get the few extra degrees. I will probably try one before buying a 0deg set. I also have a 20 deg Phoenix. I have thought about layering it with the Incubator, but the temps were supposed to be mid 20s, so I didn't bring it. I think, if I had both and could get the adjustment right, I would have been toasty all night.........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts