Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Thanks All. I see by the response that a
    Burrow0* is the most practical for deep winter.

Spent sometime at the site and began to realize that : the beautiful clean lines of the sewn end that I had grown to love,
    was less appropriate than the snap end that has endless variations to vent for warmer seasons.

Going to order tonight.

G
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know what your DIY UQ will go down to, but I know my Incubator 0* UQ will go down to 0*. It has like 5"+ of loft.

I'd really rethink the snap footbox, especially on a winter TQ. The snap one is much draftier and won't keep your feet nearly as warm as the sewn one. Check out the threads. On the other hand, if you can supplement your feet and want to use it into warmer weather, then maybe. I just drape mine over my feet when needed. I have a 40* Burrow (Sewn), which I've used to 29* very comfortably.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Too much is too much

G...Hawk:
    Note what Boomer just said: That a 40F rated Burrow did him fine 11d F below its rating when he was well insulated from below.

That is exactly my extensive experience, too. The drape and seal matter much more for retaining warmth once you are protected from below. IMO, a 0F SB or TQ is needed only if you expect to be in -10F conditions. Yes, there is such a thing as too much. Too much fuss and bulk in the hammock to the extent that you cannot easily vent it. Maybe my experience is too much with smaller hammocks, but I doubt anyone with any bridge hammock would have an easy way to get lots of loft well out of the way to cool off in 30-40F temps. Where is it all to go?

Further, if you overheat, then you sweat, and now you have a garment which is harder to launder getting more aromatic sooner.

My advice is to err on too-much with the smaller UQ. On the same note: Do get a shorter TQ if you only need a shorter one. The extra length is not just of limited use; it is of negative utility.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I don't know what your DIY UQ will go down to, but I know my Incubator 0* UQ will go down to 0*. It has like 5"+ of loft.

I'd really rethink the snap footbox, especially on a winter TQ. The snap one is much draftier and won't keep your feet nearly as warm as the sewn one. Check out the threads. On the other hand, if you can supplement your feet and want to use it into warmer weather, then maybe. I just drape mine over my feet when needed. I have a 40* Burrow (Sewn), which I've used to 29* very comfortably.
    My DIY IX-ripstop-combo-UQ has gone below 30*, perhaps 27* or more.
    With the Speer Snugfit all the way down to 3* last weekend at the NJWinterHang.
    This setup can be taken backpacking.

Expect there is an Incubator0* in the future.

Have tried to find posts commenting about the snap vs sewn end.
    Perhaps I will search further.

Placed the order tonight, expect that can be adjusted between now and when it gets close to production.

G
    Last edited by G...Hawk; 01-30-2013 at 23:46.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    G...Hawk:
    Note what Boomer just said: That a 40F rated Burrow did him fine 11d F below its rating when he was well insulated from below.

That is exactly my extensive experience, too. The drape and seal matter much more for retaining warmth once you are protected from below. IMO, a 0F SB or TQ is needed only if you expect to be in -10F conditions. Yes, there is such a thing as too much. Too much fuss and bulk in the hammock to the extent that you cannot easily vent it. Maybe my experience is too much with smaller hammocks, but I doubt anyone with any bridge hammock would have an easy way to get lots of loft well out of the way to cool off in 30-40F temps. Where is it all to go?

Further, if you overheat, then you sweat, and now you have a garment which is harder to launder getting more aromatic sooner.

My advice is to err on too-much with the smaller UQ. On the same note: Do get a shorter TQ if you only need a shorter one. The extra length is not just of limited use; it is of negative utility.
    Doing more research on sewn or snap Burrow0*.
    Seems most advise sewn for cold temps like the single-digits ( Jan NJWinterHang and Feb in NY Catskills ).

My current backpacking setup has served me well to 30* so main concern is 30* to 0*. Expect the Burrow0* will be compelling in March.

I am concerned about overheating and sweating, many people recommend just pulling a leg foot out for a while.

G

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Sewn vs snap end : Have been reading opinions here and on archive posts about the wisdom of having a sewn footbox in very cold weather.

Therefore have changed to a sewn footbox.

G

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I think you made the right choice with the sewn foot box. After all it is a 0* quilt. If you bring it anywhere near its limit, you'll be glad that there will be one less thing to fiddle with to keep warm. Now all you needs is a matching 0* Incubator

S

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I think you made the right choice with the sewn foot box. After all it is a 0* quilt. If you bring it anywhere near its limit, you'll be glad that there will be one less thing to fiddle with to keep warm. Now all you needs is a matching 0* Incubator

S

Now all you needs is a matching 0* Incubator

Have read about down addiction. Oh. . . man . . . have to be careful !
    If I had an Incubator0* . . . .

G

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    A 20* is (usually) the best choice for a first quilt. If you already have one, though, that runs around 30*, I'd think the 20* is too close to it, unless you're really going with something to save space/weight. If that's less of an issue, I'd personally go with the 0*, or perhaps at the most, a 20* with 2-3 ounces of overstuff to bring you down to around 10.
    I agree--------its a beautiful piece of equiptment, but as a cold sleeper, I would never take it down to 20 degrees!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I agree with some of the advice above. The UQ is where you don't want to skimp on loft. It is also much easier (IMHO) to vent, so make sure that your UQ can handle the lowest low you intend to go . I've used my 0* Incubator in lows as high as the upper 50s without roasting by simply venting it well and adjusting my top insulation. Once you have your UQ options sorted, you can make TQ adjustments.

The TQ can be easily supplimented with clothing, liners, or even a second TQ or sleeping bag if not backpacking, so I might err on the side of less warmth there. If you will be bringing down clothing for day warmth anyway, you might be able to save a few ounces on your TQ by simply wearing some of that clothing to bed. That practice might also serve you well if you need to get up during the night. If you do end up choosing the 0* TQ, then I wouldn't recomend the snaps. You upgraded from the 20* to the 0* for a reason, so why compomise the 0* with a less effective foot seal? If I were camping in weather that was cold enough to warrant a 0* TQ, I would make absolutely sure my feet were gonna be warm!
    Last edited by Str1der; 02-11-2013 at 10:07.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast