Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images

HH Radiant Double Bubble Pad (RDBP) Questions

1. Can this be used in lieu of a cheap SB in the HHSS system (on top of the OCF underpad)?

2. Does the RDBP have enough insulation to replace the OCF underpad without sacrificing too much performance?

3. If the RDBP is used in the HHSS system, can it be left in the UC and stuffed in a stuff sack along with hammock, UC, and underpad? ...or is it too bulky and must be removed and rolled separately?

Try your plan in your backyard first. The open cell foam pad of the Supershelter system is intended to snug against the user via stretched shock cords. It should conform to the sleeper's underside and is important to making the system work. The Radiant Bubble Pad is stiff. My guess is that it would interfere with the system more than work with it. The OCF might raise it to the sleeper, but it wouldn't be able to conform to the user's contours, allowing air gaps. If I wished to use the RBP, I'd try it inside the hammock. An alternative to the space balnket that MIGHT work is one of the cheap windshield reflectors that are aluminized foam, rather than the stiff bubble ones. It wouldn't stretch and conform, but is thin enough that it might fold with the open cell foam one. Consider the space blanket with an extra piece of open cell foam as the most likely solution.

So, Qs 1 & 2, I'd say probably not.

Q 3: The RDBP is indeed bulky as well as stiff, so it wouldn't easily be stuffed into anything. Roll it inside your pack or roll it tightly, then attach it to the outside of your pack. You would need quite a large stuff sack to contain the hammock + Supershelter w/pad. What Tom suggests is to leave the tarp up and stuff the hammock, sleeping bag and all into the bottom of one's backpack, then load things on top. I don't know if he leaves the Supershelter attached, but that might be the way to go.

Best of luck!
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Images
    This is my experience using a double layer Deep Jungle with the SS / RDBP:

1. Yes, but the RDBP is between the layers of the Deep Jungle (warm at 17*). I don't try this on my single layer Explorer UL.

2. No. I trust the RDBP to 40*, the SS to 20*.

3. No. But I do fit a DJ XL, complete SS # 2, overcover, and 8' tree huggers into a 16L stuff sack. The RDBP is rolled and held onto the outside of pack - my antenna as Spamburglar says. YMMV.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    just buy some raw thinsulate or primaloft and toss it between the layers. I plan to do it when it is warmer and i dont need the 0 deg quilt. the point of the underquilt is to maintain the comfort of the hammock, you loose that with the closed cell foam pads.

Bosman-

Are you suggesting that Hawghanger place some fluffy insulation on top of the open cell foam pad in his Supershelter system? Wouldn't the shock cord pulling up the OCF (a big part of making it work) crush the batting? I can see this supplementing an underquilt if there is an open space between it and the hammock, but not on top of the Hennessy foam pad, properly adjusted.

YMMV.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post
    Bosman-

Are you suggesting that Hawghanger place some fluffy insulation on top of the open cell foam pad in his Supershelter system? Wouldn't the shock cord pulling up the OCF (a big part of making it work) crush the batting? I can see this supplementing an underquilt if there is an open space between it and the hammock, but not on top of the Hennessy foam pad, properly adjusted.

YMMV.
    Sorry, By just use, i mean no foam pad. If you own one or have seen one you will know it is the dimension of a friggen old school coleman sleeping bag meaning it takes up a ton of room for very little comfort. That said the insulation can be bulky but that can be adjusted to the space you lay like the ocfp.
    Don't do it if it doesn't sound like a good plan but that is what i am going to do because i have the undercover the insulation won't likely be crushed too much but i will test it out and see since i still have som ray way insulation from an old quilt kit i never used. It is polarguard delta. If that isnt enough i bet having a gossomer gear 1/8 closed cell under it would be. If i could sew i'd make a piece that simply slides in between the layers but if i did i would prob get cuben and just tape it together. I don't think i need to quilt the polarguard delta since it would only come out of a stuff sack for that purpose. This isnt meant to replace my underquilt in winter its just meant for cooler temps say between 40 and 65 deg.
    Last edited by Bosman; 02-02-2013 at 11:23.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Sorry, By just use, i mean no foam pad. If you own one or have seen one you will know it is the dimension of a friggen old school coleman sleeping bag meaning it takes up a ton of room for very little comfort. ............
    You mean the HHSS foam pad? Like this one, with the stuff sack containing both the larger #2 #SS UC and pad? :

I always felt it compresses down pretty good for something full length that keeps me warm in the 30s. Maybe not the smallest, but pretty good. And that sack includes an UQP, AKA HHSS undercover. I'm not sure a full length 25-30F down UQ plus an UQP would fit in a sack all that much smaller, but maybe some what smaller.

Edit, here is a picture I found of a 25-30F full length UQ compressed:

And that is with no UC/UQP. I'd say the HHSS UC/pad is actually a little smaller.
    But, I never go to all that trouble of getting it back in that stuff sack. I either stuff it into the pack or into a larger compression stuff sack.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-03-2013 at 00:22.

• + New Posts