Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti

Winter Comeback In Colorado

I have almost forgot that it's winter after all. Then yesterday winter let us know it's here... Anyway. I can see "How do you manage the wait" topics etc... I can't wait for spring to come, and I need to get into 3 season hiking and hammocking before I even think about winter hanging.

Anyway who is more of a 3 season person, when did you start winter hanging, or are here "winter only" hangers?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have had my clark for almost 3 years now, and I would say that my first SUCCESSFUL winter campout was last night. Just got back this morning, and the storm that moved through colorado is now unloading on the provo area which is where i live. anyways, back to the topic, I only have a 40* UQ, and was nervous when I saw that the temperature were going to drop into the teens at night, but I just dressed warm, in a down vest and coat, with a wool balaclava, and some sweat pants and ski pants. I had a zero degree bag with a 30 degree bag inside of it. and a big wool jacket over my footbox. I was toasty warm, so what would I say? GO FOR IT and learn from your mistakes.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Take your time

Quote Originally Posted by wiktor View Post
    I have almost forgot that it's winter after all. Then yesterday winter let us know it's here... Anyway. I can see "How do you manage the wait" topics etc... I can't wait for spring to come, and I need to get into 3 season hiking and hammocking before I even think about winter hanging.

Anyway who is more of a 3 season person, when did you start winter hanging, or are here "winter only" hangers?
    I started winter of 2011. Been hanging since 2010. So I waited about a season. Also, I used to winter camp a few times before I was a hanger. I would suggest that you go to a group hang for your first winter hang when you are ready. Once you get comfortable rigging your gear and If you have the right gear for the weather you can start trying winter. Take your time learning, winter is really a different animal. I much prefer snow to rain myself, so I tend to camp more in deep winter than I do the shoulder season here in California. Good luck with your journey.

S

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I hang (and camp in igloos) in the winter here in Colorado. It's fun, but the real joy for me is 3-season when I can get out and really hike. Colorado mountains in the summer are perfect for my taste. I also enjoy fly fishing, which is a bit rough in winter months. I also signed up to be a maintainer for a short section of the CDT near Leadville for the first time - excited to go and do that.

I'm counting down the days until April or May when I can start back up. In the meantime, though, I hope we get a lot of snow from now until then. Last summer's fires and dry mountains were no fun at all.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    ... I much prefer snow to rain myself ...

S
    That shoulder season rain/snow stuff is terrible. Good amounts of snow at 20* is much better than rain/slushy snow at 35-40*.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I am slowly acquiring the appropriate gear for sleeping in the winter. I want to do a winter hang by the time I get back from my two year mission
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    That shoulder season rain/snow stuff is terrible. Good amounts of snow at 20* is much better than rain/slushy snow at 35-40*.
    Absolutely!!! 10 degrees and sunshine is sooooo much better than 40 degrees and rain.
    The beauty of sunsets,
    The wind in the pines,
    The mountains give these and more...
    Peace of mind.

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Going out for 3 days this weekend. Temps will be in the 20s at night... nothing critical. Being burrowed down in my goosedown jacket, Katabatic Gear quilt, and HG uq, and Black Rock Gear hat is much better than central heat.

I'm just now converting from UL backpacking to UL hammocking so I plan things pretty tight on weight tolerances. A good winter trip is sooo good.
    The beauty of sunsets,
    The wind in the pines,
    The mountains give these and more...
    Peace of mind.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I'm a three season hanger - fall, winter and spring. I only get out in summer if its cool, can't stand the heat. There is just no relief from the heat. At least when it's cool to cold out you can bundle up and keep warm
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I know I'm not from Colorado but here is my two cents... I started hammocking April or may of last year and was set up for summer 100* pretty quickly... When fall rolled around I bought a shamu 40* underquilt... Used an old down sleeping bag as a topquilt... Then end of December I hung in 18*... To me this forum allowed me to do that, with a but of common sense involved as well... Learn from others mistakes that are posted here and camp close enough to bail out easily... And I think you will be alright...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast