Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    I have been emailing Brandon for a long time and asking questions about a 12' hammock. I have never built a hammock but being a owner of two blackbirds I knew my wife slept in hers without a problem but my 6' 1" frame was just a tiny bit too long for the 10' hammock. I also wanted it (the 12') in multi cam. I in the back of my mind would look at other hammocks and wished I could have a hammock without the bug net but wanted the bug net. I to was trying to figure out as a DIY project how to get a ridgeline Bivy to work out. Brandon kept telling me to get with him in a few days, after xmas because he was busy with orders..... and I did just that. He sent me the link to his XLC and I instantly fell in love.

I have since sold one of my blackbirds and my superfly tarp and purchased the XLC and the past Valentines day the mailman delivered it. This past weekend I got to "test" it out.

Lay, it is NOT just a blackbird. It is the Blackbird XLC. If you find yourself trying to "stretch out" the foot box in your blackbird, you need the XLC. Not once did I try to push out that extra few inches in the XLC. The calf/need ridge was still there, but then I remembered Brandon's video and talking about laying closer to the head end of the hammock. Do yourself a favor, do not be afraid to hang your foot side of the hammock "too" high. I have not found my "sweet" spot on the XLC but I am close. I think after the material relaxes and stretches out some it will be a dream lay.

The "C" in the XlC is a wonderful addition. Our weather this weekend was high 60s and low 30s. Being in the river bottom I am sure that we dropped to a high 20 one night. I had the "option" to deploy my top bivy to help keep warmth in. I know it went below freezing for sure because my Platy bag had ice in it on Sunday morning. For afternoon sunny naps, I unzipped the top bivy and had an open topped hammock that I could enjoy the breeze while napping. I never did put the bug net on as I did not need it, but imagine if there were knats - I had but zippered bug net with me if I needed it.

Part II in a minute

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Hey Wildman! Did the girl come with the hammock or was It an accessory?
    I'm still waiting on my shipping notice.
    BigRed77

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    After seeing the video that Brandon posted I had the same thoughts as most of you that have a Blackbird and that was,

"is the shelf and footbox netting"

the answer is no and yes. The top of the foot box and shelf are netting. The footbox part of the the netting has a piece of your hammock material sewn in which creates a pocket when zipped back onto the hammock. The shelf is split with the shelf itself material and the top netting. Of course the bivy top is all material.

Ease of taking of the netting and bivy top has some issues for me. Let me say "for me" again. Here is minor problems I noticed and would like to see changed and may send my top in for tweaks.

I would like to see the shelf top and bottom material. Why? Because I put my keys on the shelf an noticed that it was a perfect opportunity for a whole to be poked into the netting. I put my headlight in the shelf and when I was taking it out, it "snagged" the netting. Again, possible hole causing. But this is a thing you could have with the regular Blackbird too. I just put ALL my crap on that shelf and would like to see the top material not netting.

The clips that come off to put the bivy top on or the netting on are very difficult to get back on after removing them as they are put back on through loops on the top/netting. I would like to see either stiffer loops or possibly stainless circle clips so the detaching and reattaching of the pull-outs is easier for cold or fat fingers.

The unzipping or rezipping of the tops one need to take caution in it. I hung the net material in unzipping and the bivy material on attachment. I am not sure how to make this not happen because it has been a problem that has plagued zippers since invention. I said use caution because I know from past experience that if you ever jam a zipper there is only one way to unjam it and that is to cut the material out. I barely grabbed both the net and material and it was a easy undo.

Brandon, your Blackbird was a breakthrough in hammocks, your XLC is a breakthrough to the other side. I personally think that there might be a few MINOR tweaks as user feed back comes in but these tweaks do not cause the grade of my review to be anything less than an "A". If my wife was over 6' I would be selling her Blackbird and putting her in a XLC without question. Thanks!
    Last edited by Wildman; 02-18-2013 at 11:15.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    My impressions of the Blackbird XLC:
    • It really pays to hang the foot end SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the head end; just like Brandon shows in the XLC video.
    • How doe sit lie? Like a hammock should... I built the B2 last year which was an 11 foot long hammock with a foot box. The XLC is this PLUS the pull out for the shoulder which makes it lie exceptionally well.
    • I like that you can remove the cover and have what amounts to a basic traveler hammock; this really appeals to the minimalist in me.
    • The top cover concept is nothing new but one Wildman had never experienced. On Saturday morning he said he didn't think that the cover added that much warmth; after I pointed out that Friday night was below freezing temperatures and that there was a lot of CBS among the other hammockers I think he saw the light!
    • The new strip of netting on the bug net cover is nice; it REALLY increases the angle of approach for viewing.
    • I didn't like not being able to vent the winter cover at the peaks (or at least the peak at the foot end). I thought that there would be dual zippers but there is only one slider. I am sure Brandon has a reason for this. It would be easy enough for some one, or even Brandon, to add an area of netting to the peaks of the winter cover for ventilation. As it is, it performed flawlessly for Wildman this weekend with no condensation or frost reported; do maybe the DWR Nylon breathes enough to alleviate the non-existent issue I am dreaming up.
    • The lie really is much better which goes along with the longer-is-better philosophy. I don't know if the fabric is any wider or not, either way it is just right.
    • Even though it is more comfortable for me @ 5'10"/195 lbs I find the regular Blackbird to be very comfortable as well. In fact, comfortable enough to not want to make changes (which is rare). But if you are 6 feet tall or taller I think the Blackbird XLC will be a much more comfortable fit for you.
    • Otherwise the XLC is typical Warbonnet quality we have all come to expect, admire and, a few of us anyway, envy...

Well done Warbonnet Outdoors, I believe the Big and Tall crowd now have a real choice in the market with the XLC!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    I tell ya, reading this thread makes me think maybe I should spring for the 10' XLC...

The wife would probably kill me if I spend any more money on this though. I'll have to be content with my regular bb when it arrives.

Love reading about it though.
    Insanity Happens...

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    No shipping notice, and this weeks' trip come and gone... woe is me.

Fingers crossed.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    [QUOTE=Rat;943043]My impressions of the Blackbird XLC:
    • Even though it is more comfortable for me @ 5'10"/195 lbs I find the regular Blackbird to be very comfortable as well. In fact, comfortable enough to not want to make changes (which is rare). But if you are 6 feet tall or taller I think the Blackbird XLC will be a much more comfortable fit for you.
    • Otherwise the XLC is typical Warbonnet quality we have all come to expect, admire and, a few of us anyway, envy...

I am really curious about the size you mention. My current hammock (not a WBBB) lists 6' as the max size. I'm 6' and can sleep in it great but I feel I'm a bit too close to the ends. I'm considering going for a longer hammock. The WBBB specs say it is good for up to 6'8". At 6' should I only consider the WBBB XLC or is the WBBB still in play?

thank you.

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    No shipping notice, and this weeks' trip come and gone... woe is me.

Fingers crossed.
    I'm right there with you.
    Rockhound: “Hey, Harry.”
    Harry: “Yeah, Rock?”
    Rockhound: “You know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has two hundred and seventy thousand moving parts, built by the lowest bidder!”

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    [QUOTE=dchrismer;943206]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    My impressions of the Blackbird XLC:

I am really curious about the size you mention. My current hammock (not a WBBB) lists 6' as the max size. I'm 6' and can sleep in it great but I feel I'm a bit too close to the ends. I'm considering going for a longer hammock. The WBBB specs say it is good for up to 6'8". At 6' should I only consider the WBBB XLC or is the WBBB still in play?

thank you.
    I'm a few inches shy of 6', but have always been more comfortable in longer gathered-end hammocks.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    At 6' should I only consider the WBBB XLC
    Like I said, the 10' blackbird I sold worked; the 11' XLC works better for me. I am 6' 1"

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast