Red River Gorge, KY

Hey all, I'm tagging along on a climbing trip to the Red River Gorge area in April. I'm only a novice casual climber so while my friends are tackling some more difficult stuff I was thinking of combining some moderate day hiking and fly fishing (not even sure it's possible there) at least one day.

Anyone from that area have any suggestions?
    Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    Dunno about fishing, it's been 10 years since I was down there... but there's hiking aplenty.
    Insanity Happens...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Definitely possible. Plenty of both there. Were you going to backpack with your friends or base camp or stay at a motel? If it's the former, tell me where your general location will be in the Gorge and I can give you some ideas.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

We will be camping somewhere as a base I'm sure. I'll find out more tomorrow. Thanks, bonsai!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Definitely possible. Plenty of both there. Were you going to backpack with your friends or base camp or stay at a motel? If it's the former, tell me where your general location will be in the Gorge and I can give you some ideas.
    You mean everyone doesn't stay at Miguel's?
    Insanity Happens...

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    You mean everyone doesn't stay at Miguel's?
    interestingly enough, it seems that's where they plan on staying. I know nothing about the place though.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Best pizza around and where all the climbers stay...

So you'll have wheels. Good, that frees you up. If you haven't been there before, I'd definitely recommend hiking over the fishing. Trout fishing there can be nice, but not spectacular. Plenty of places in Va for spectacular trout fishing.

OTOH, the hiking can be spectacular there, especially in late April when the trees are just starting to come into leaf but not so much you can't see the rock formations, and wildflowers are just starting to bloom in a warm Spring. The clifflines, rockshelters, and arches are something you need to see.

I'll try to get some topos of some hikes posted. What kind of time frame are you looking at? That will give me some structure for ideas, but for starters the Auxier Ridge loop with a side trip to Double Arch is awesome. Also, the Gray's Arch, Rough Trail, and Pinch-em-tight loop is another favorite. Or, hike up to the Indian Staircase. There are lots of shorter trails to some great views or formations or both if you needed to be flexible or get done with a longer hike early.

You can get a crappy hand-drawn trail map for free at many of the businesses there (I'm sure Miguel's has something), but I'd recommend the official RRG topo trail map sold at the Gladie Visitor Center by the Forest Service. Definitely worth it.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One thing to keep in mind at the Gorge, though, and I'm sure it won't be the last time you hear it--every year people die falling from bluffs, arches, and the like. They're not always drunk, either. It can be a very dangerous place in some areas if you're not careful. Also, there are bears around (one fellow was attacked a couple years ago, but--how should I word this--he wasn't acting like someone who has a shred of intelligence would act around bears), but I assume you are used to bears, and it is unlikely to matter unless you are camping. If you do, hanging a bear bag is mandated by the Forest Service if you're in the backcountry. 10 feet up and 4 feet from the trunk of the tree.
    --Scott <><

Thanks for the info thus far! We'll be there April 5th-8th. I should be able to get at least most of a day or half day to do whatever I want. I know it isnt very long.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba
    Suspension
    W.Slings, Adj.Web
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Best pizza around and where all the climbers stay....
    Yep, I've spent many a night in a tent on his yard back when I was a climber... The owner is good people.
    Insanity Happens...

• + New Posts