Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Newbie question about HH Hex Fly and Skins

I just got my HH Hex Rain Fly today and I am trying to figure out the easiest way to stow and deploy it (getting back into the sack it comes with is an exercise in frustration).

My plan is to hang the tarp from an Arrowhead "Tarp Ridge Line "Simple Single" - Carabiner" ridge line.

Skins look like the way to go but I am not clear on whether or not skins will work with this type of ridge line and how small of a package the tarp and skins will make when packed up (I have a small pack and size is important).

Any feedback on what other HH Hex Rain Fly owners are using and techniques for getting the tarp down to as small a size as possible would be hugely appreciated.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I skin my HH Hex. Fold it in half twice, wrap ridgeline around to secure. Bundle get strapped to the outside of my pack. I do not want a wet tarp inside my pack. In a side pocket under the compression straps to balance the water bottle in the other side pocket.

Works for me.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I skin my HH Hex. Fold it in half twice, wrap ridgeline around to secure. Bundle get strapped to the outside of my pack. I do not want a wet tarp inside my pack. In a side pocket under the compression straps to balance the water bottle in the other side pocket.

Works for me.
    That is kind of what I was thinking. Which skins do you use?

Images
    Not much different than a stock tarp.

http://youtu.be/Y8Es_mzdkAU

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Not much different than a stock tarp.

http://youtu.be/Y8Es_mzdkAU
    That is a good video. I am still unclear on how well that works with a tarp hooked up using this method:

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    I just got my HH Hex Rain Fly today and I am trying to figure out the easiest way to stow and deploy it (getting back into the sack it comes with is an exercise in frustration).

My plan is to hang the tarp from an Arrowhead "Tarp Ridge Line "Simple Single" - Carabiner" ridge line.

Skins look like the way to go but I am not clear on whether or not skins will work with this type of ridge line and how small of a package the tarp and skins will make when packed up (I have a small pack and size is important).

Any feedback on what other HH Hex Rain Fly owners are using and techniques for getting the tarp down to as small a size as possible would be hugely appreciated.
    One solution to the problem:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=65516&page=6

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    A bigger pack? LOL. That would make packing easier. I admit I to wondering whether or not I should have gotten the GoLite Jam 70L instead of the 35L but right now my goal is to get 1 or 2 nights out of a small, light pack.

I am impressed by your system too. Re-reading your post a few times it seems like you have it well thought out now. I am going to try and plan my pack half as well as that and give it few trial runs in the back yard before I hit the trail.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A bigger pack? LOL. That would make packing easier. I admit I to wondering whether or not I should have gotten the GoLite Jam 70L instead of the 35L but right now my goal is to get 1 or 2 nights out of a small, light pack.

I am impressed by your system too. Re-reading your post a few times it seems like you have it well thought out now. I am going to try and plan my pack half as well as that and give it few trial runs in the back yard before I hit the trail.
    The pack is a custom made from Zimmerbuilt, cost is just a bit higher than a good UL pack, but designed for hammock carriage. I found that skins were too stiff to pack well. Even when folded over on themselves, there's a lot of air in there that could otherwise be filled with stuff. I tried lashing them to the outside of the pack, but that only worked so well, took a while to get done right, and I was always worried about them falling off. Stuffing them in the pack without skins partially solved the problem of the airspace, but when I'd add a TQ and UQ I'd end up with a full pack and little room for food or fuel. The solution seemed to be to just take them out of the pack, but put them some place where they could be stuffed in loosely. Since everything is deployed in a linear fashion, long narrow pockets seemed like the answer. So far its working well.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I just use the snake skins that HH sent with my hammock.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    That is a good video. I am still unclear on how well that works with a tarp hooked up using this method:

I think I see your problem - where do the skins go? When deploying the tarp the skins will be on it so the biners will not be a problem. When you pull the skins back they will go over the biners out of the way. When packing the skins slide off the biners back over the tarp before any disconnections are done.

You really want the tarp outside of your pack. If it's wet you do not want the water inside. If it's dry but going to rain you want it out first without getting the rest wet so you can set up the tarp to get out of the rain under first then set up the rest.
    Last edited by nothermark; 01-30-2013 at 08:04.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast