Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Griz, your device is intriguing... last time I had a watch it was a Casio with time, temp and pressure. The pressure could be set for altitude or direct measurement, and it kept a graph of the last 24 hours.

Does yours give any more than an indication of rising or falling pressure? How does it react to altitude changes?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_rat View Post
    I've got one of the These. There cheap, they give you the current time/temp, and while they don't have a temperature log they do give you the low and the high for the past 24 hours. For 9.99 this does me well. It also has a built in alarm.
    A temperature range of 14F to 112F might be marginal for some folks backpacking.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    A temperature range of 14F to 112F might be marginal for some folks backpacking.
    Actually, it looks like it goes down to -4F. I need/want something that will go colder than that, which sucks because I like that one.

I know that many of the ones that run on AA or AAA batteries have a spec. low of around the same range. However, if you slap some lithium batteries in there you get about a 20 degree boost lower. Still looking for the 'right' one.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Cannibal, this one is 14F. The other one was -4F. You have to keep up with Who's on first and not get distracted about What's on second.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cannibal, this one is 14F. The other one was -4F. You have to keep up with Who's on first and not get distracted about What's on second.
    Dang it!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Griz, your device is intriguing... last time I had a watch it was a Casio with time, temp and pressure. The pressure could be set for altitude or direct measurement, and it kept a graph of the last 24 hours.

Does yours give any more than an indication of rising or falling pressure? How does it react to altitude changes?
    Trends only, no direct barometric display. I haven't tested specifically for altitude changes (I live in Illinois after all ) but it stands to reason that it will interpret a rise in elevation as a trend towards decreased barometric pressure.

Being a gadget addict as well as a hammock addict I have one of those watches like your former one that estimates altitude from air pressure and a recent calibration. That was invaluable on one hike in particular where I was climbing a small mountain that was entirely socked in by fog---I could tell where I was on the map by knowing on was on the path, and the altitude on that path. I had to make a trail change en-route, and among the various options that presented themselves along the way, I had to get the right one. Being a gadget addict I later got a field GPS unit that obviates that function.

Grizz

Images
    I actually prefer that. The one on my watch only goes to 9F. Ignorance is bliss on temps lower than that!
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Trends only, no direct barometric display. I haven't tested specifically for altitude changes (I live in Illinois after all ) but it stands to reason that it will interpret a rise in elevation as a trend towards decreased barometric pressure.

Being a gadget addict as well as a hammock addict I have one of those watches like your former one that estimates altitude from air pressure and a recent calibration. That was invaluable on one hike in particular where I was climbing a small mountain that was entirely socked in by fog---I could tell where I was on the map by knowing on was on the path, and the altitude on that path. I had to make a trail change en-route, and among the various options that presented themselves along the way, I had to get the right one. Being a gadget addict I later got a field GPS unit that obviates that function.

Grizz

If I remember correct most watches or devices with an altimeter use the changes in pressure to calculate the altitude. You also have to recalibrate it often with big weather changes or if you go indoors.

My watch has this. I don't really use it though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I have one of these, that I like. May be more than what you need as it has pressure trends). When I was in the market for this I found that the tricky bit is finding a device that has temperature memory. I got mine for about $40, which is a bit pricey for clock and temperature only (but I don't recall seeing anything much less that included temperature max/min).

Grizz
    Hey Grizz that sounds very interesting, but i can't get that link to work.
    Do you have another link or picture or name or something

Thanks

EDIT
    was it this?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Now there's a device made for a ridgeline! (...except it's upside down.)

Have you a link, moski?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast