Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    This is my latest iteration, thanks to Allen and Tenderfoot. It's a pinned slip knot:

Last edited by MDSH; 02-15-2013 at 21:13.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

For Now

Here is what I went with for now. I didn't want to hijack this thread, so I started a thread on what I went with here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...35&postcount=1

Including full pictures.
    Last edited by OneThing; 02-15-2013 at 20:59. Reason: Started a New Thread

Images
    Single 25' 4mm nylon cord acting as ridge line and suspension. Ridge line is tied with a clove hitch then slides through a loop in a simple tree strap then heads back to the carabiner to be tied off with another clove hitch.

Tree strap is just nylon tubular webbing. Water knots make loops at each end.

2 metolius minis are the only hardware used.

bottom image shows opposite side of hammock.

Left side is a a big loop that runs through the tree straps. Upper right is ridge line. Lower left is the stock loop to a GTUL.

This gives you adjustable ridge line and removable hammock.

With the 4mm nylon a clove hitch seems to hold just fine and can be loosened relatively easily so you can just slide things where ever you need them.

I had initially planned to split this rope up into separate pieces, but just running it all together works well enough I probably won't bother at least until I get some fancier cord.
    Last edited by Allen; 02-15-2013 at 21:02.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Here is what I cobbled together last night. I used threaded fittings for extra rigidity since I am a beefier hanger. I used 100 grit sandpaper to rough up the smooth PVC for better grip. I am also playing with an addition to the half hitch to have more grip on the Amsteel. Tests to follow. Attachment 45800Attachment 45801
    Which end is going toward the hammock? I tried this with a 1/2 pvc and it held, but started to crush it. So, I'm hoping the T will work better.

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

A sliding toggle (Yes, another suspension idea)

The bottom or stem of the T goes toward the tree strap. I still have not had a chance to see if it will hold.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Here is what I cobbled together last night. I used threaded fittings for extra rigidity since I am a beefier hanger. I used 100 grit sandpaper to rough up the smooth PVC for better grip. I am also playing with an addition to the half hitch to have more grip on the Amsteel. Tests to follow. Attachment 45800Attachment 45801
    I would discourage the use of plastic pipe until you have found some testing of it for loads like this. I'm referring to all kinds of it, whether for cold, hot, or irrigation supply. My experience with one or two kinds of it in the past taught me that it fatigued with use. So, you gain confidence in it, and then it fails and dumps you.

For more applications of toggles with pre-drilled holes and keepers with hitches tied on them, consider the app sheets for Knotbones(tm). They are plastic, and btw, come with load ratings.

http://www.niteize.com/product/KnotBone.asp

Along with GrizzlyAdams,* I sincerely commend OP and others who have relied instead on a couple of superbly drawn illustrations or well-selected stills. These were real gifts of your time to save me some of mine.

I also appreciate that this thread has gone on so far pretty without much mention of weight. That will come.

*who can seriously entertain for up to 10 minutes in (a tightly scripted and prepared) construction or assembly video (provided that flashes of electric humor are allowed to crackle, as though extemporaneous, in the presentations).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    ...this thread has gone on so far pretty without much mention of weight. That will come.
    I made a set with 1" PVC and 7/64" amsteel dogbones, approximately 5' long, and the pair weighs in at 96 grams.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

I tried both

I 1st tried a wood dowel (It wasn't hardwood) and it snapped like a twig. I tried 1inch PVC, and it started to crush it. I got out before it failed. I got a one inch T PVC. The Amsteel with half hitch on both sides, slipped and melted into the PVC. I tried looking for 'Hardwood' at my local store. (Small town) They don't carry it, and have no clue if anyone makes a Hardwood Dowel. The other thing I found was that the half hitches were not that easy to get them to release after I was out of the hammock on take down. Maybe the hardwood is the only light weight object that will work if I can find two.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I tried 1inch PVC, and it started to crush it. I got out before it failed. I got a one inch T PVC. The Amsteel with half hitch on both sides, slipped and melted into the PVC.
    hmmm...
    Was this an overnight test? A nap test?
    I'm asking because we did a short (~15 minutes) test and didn't experience any of that. We got minimal, but still noticable slippage with the single half hitch (without any sanding of the PVC) and so recommend the second half hitch for security. But we did not observe any crushing or melting. I'm not contradicting you, I'm just sharing our observations. Maybe it's not just length of time. Maybe it's a weight thing. Maybe at ~170# for 15 minutes we're operating at the working limits of 'standard' 1" PVC.
    How many others have actually hung on this set-up? What're your weight and time factors? What's the size & type of your PVC?
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    hmmm...
    Was this an overnight test? A nap test?
    I'm asking because we did a short (~15 minutes) test and didn't experience any of that. We got minimal, but still noticable slippage with the single half hitch (without any sanding of the PVC) and so recommend the second half hitch for security. But we did not observe any crushing or melting. I'm not contradicting you, I'm just sharing our observations. Maybe it's not just length of time. Maybe it's a weight thing. Maybe at ~170# for 15 minutes we're operating at the working limits of 'standard' 1" PVC.
    How many others have actually hung on this set-up? What're your weight and time factors? What's the size & type of your PVC?
    It was less then 2 mins before it started to crush. I weight 257lbs. So, there in might be the problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast