Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    It was a no go again. The wood was fine. The Amsteel will not hold with my weight. It melts right into the wood. And that's with the half hitch on both sides of the wood. I could have tied a half hitch around the line as well, but even then, I would be pushing it. I think there's a limit with the weigh (I'm 257lbs) that just can't be undone no matter how hard the wood.

Thanks for the offer.

I just finished making 1/8 Amsteel UCR's, and for once in the past week I didn't land on my back side.

I'm 275-280ish. I just tried this over night without issue (6in of snow and temps down to 16* F). I used a wood 3/4" closet rod. The only issue I had was that the Amsteel from the hammock got locked into the hole on the toggle a bit. I'm concerned that over time it will wear down the Amsteel too much. I think I made the hole in the toggle to big so I might try again with a smaller diameter hole.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    I'm 275-280ish. I just tried this over night without issue (6in of snow and temps down to 16* F). I used a wood 3/4" closet rod. The only issue I had was that the Amsteel from the hammock got locked into the hole on the toggle a bit. I'm concerned that over time it will wear down the Amsteel too much. I think I made the hole in the toggle to big so I might try again with a smaller diameter hole.
    The wood I used has a red bark color to it. Very hard, and is more like a small tree with a lot of branches. My Amsteel is slick after many uses, and along with my weight is just won't hold. If I had a rougher piece of wood, then I would worry it would snag on the Amsteel and cause it to wear over time.

I think the thing that stops me from wanting to use this system is the fiddle factor. It takes longer to adjust then a UCR, and when it's tight, it's hard to get undone. I had my hold drilled to the size of the Amsteel and it still got sucked up into the hole.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's not for me at this point in time.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    So I tried my dutch hooks yesterday. Worked out really well but the slip knot was a little difficult to pull out. If I tugged hard it would come. I did get some black residue on the whoopie hooks, may just be the black color coming off my Amsteel but I am a little skeptical.

P.S. The black fingers are from making loops not from using this suspension.

This is actually a double slip knot. When I used a single I got slowly lowered to the ground.

Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    So I tried my dutch hooks yesterday. Worked out really well but the slip knot was a little difficult to pull out. If I tugged hard it would come. I did get some black residue on the whoopie hooks, may just be the black color coming off my Amsteel but I am a little skeptical.

P.S. The black fingers are from making loops not from using this suspension.

This is actually a double slip knot. When I used a single I got slowly lowered to the ground.
    Looks good. But are you going to keep using it? That was one of the reasons I didn't like using it. It would tighten down on itself, and wasn't that easy to adjust.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    Looks good. But are you going to keep using it? That was one of the reasons I didn't like using it. It would tighten down on itself, and wasn't that easy to adjust.
    I took it off right after the photo and put it on my test hammock. I am going to play with it a little more and see if I like it.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    British Basha cove
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Rope
    Aaaaggghhh!!!

I JUST finished making UCRs to replace my Whoopies. This really looks good for my indoor setup though, because Whoopies and UCRs are both too long to adjust properly since I only have 9'7" to hang in.

Swede

You can always tell a Swede, you just can't tell him much.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    Aaaaggghhh!!!

I JUST finished making UCRs to replace my Whoopies. This really looks good for my indoor setup though, because Whoopies and UCRs are both too long to adjust properly since I only have 9'7" to hang in.

Swede

You might be able to run you UCR/Whoopie through your connecting point and connect them together. Like this:

I saw this first on HppyFnGy's Turtle Dog Stand. I used this method on mine with a tree strap connecting the two whoopies together (larks head at the loop and MSH on the other end) since they didn't quite reach.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    Aaaaggghhh!!!

Swede

Yeah like doogie said above. I use cord in a prusik and pass my suspension through that and connect them in the center with a soft shackle. On my new stand I even attached the soft shackle to the pole to make it easier to bring my suspension to it.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Foam
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Trying it out

I thought I'd post a few picts of my attempt. Sorry about my knot-lingo. I don't know what to call the tree-side rope. And I'm calling the free-end the "end of the rope".

Started with some pine dowel rod, and some 7/64 amsteel. The hold I drilled ended up being one size larger than 1/8". I couldn't get the line through the 1/8" hole... It sounds like some of you have, so perhaps I didn't try hard enough. I don't think it's too big of a deal though. I'll give a report on how well this worked under a real hammock load tomorrow. I gave it the "office" test already, but that's not saying a ton.

The one thing I'm concerned with is whether the rope will tighten up so much that it's hard to get off.

Top:

Bottom. Notice, you can radius that hole a little bit to stop the toggle from cutting into the line:

Wrap behind the tree side rope:

Make a loop with the end of the rope on the side close to you. That's crucial. If you have the end on the other side of the loop from you, it ends up all wrong, and doesn't hold. Here it is the right way:

Put the loop on the toggle, and tighten up to the rope:

Top ends up looking like this:

Bottom like this:

Then set up to put your continuous loop that's attached to your hammock. Put two loops into it, with the hammock-side of the line on top of both loops.

put one loop on each side of the toggle:

load it up:

It ends up looking like this:

and this:

If you're not sure about the toggle holding the knot, add another loop on the other side before adding the hammock. It actually ends up creating a clove-hitch that way:

bottom view:

Another alternative. I wouldn't really trust this, but maybe I'm just a chicken:

This option seems like it's putting too much strain in a way that may cause the toggle to cut into the tree-side line.

So there yah go! Seems pretty simple to me. I like the idea a lot! I'm not sure how to radius the bottom of the toggle easily. Mine ended up a bit ragged, because i just took the drill bit and reamed it out a bit. This seems like it would be sweet in aluminum, but I have no idea how to radius the bottom in aluminum rod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast