Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

A sliding toggle (Yes, another suspension idea)

Not sure who else has done something similar before, just thought I'd throw it out there...
    I was using whoopie slings and marlinspike for a bit. Then somebody showed me a neat trick from another suspension of similar design that headed me in this direction: I use 2 toggles (one for each end) made from 7/8" diameter hardwood dowel, cut to 1.5" long. I drilled a 1/8" hole perpendicular through the center and run my 7/64 amsteel line through it. I have one end of my 5' amsteel suspension line larksheaded to the tree strap (which has a loop at each end) and a backsplice at the other end to stop the toggle from coming off. I wrap the tree strap around the tree, running the suspension line through the other loop in the strap, down to the hammock and placing the fixed loop of the hammock over the toggle. Slide the toggle up and down to adjust the sag and then throw a half hitch around the toggle. Holds tight, trades the marlinspike out for the half hitch and doesn't jam. I weigh 180 and started out using 2 half hitches, one on each side of the toggle (clove hitch) but found a single half hitch held.
    I like it because I can bundle my hammock with OR without suspension (using a 'biner on the free loop of the tree strap to bundle suspension with hammock, similar to cinch buckles). It also reduces the bulk of suspension when bundled, since its a single line, not doubled like the whoopie. I also get a little more versatility in diameter of trees and spacing.
    Ive been using them for about a year now, several weekend trips and a good 5 day hike with rain... it just works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pictures please, I'm having a dense moment and I want to understand just what is being done, thanks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    In the photo the two amsteel lines at the bottom are the fixed loop from the hammock end. The rest is the single suspension line that passes through the toggle and is secured by the half hitch, right? Pretty neat! You could use a shorter tree strap with this, too. I may try it with a Ti Dutch Clip on the strap so I won't need to pass the toggle through the strap loop.
    Last edited by WV; 01-30-2013 at 08:39.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on more pictures, I think I kind of understand how to do it...Looks like a great idea.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sorry, too simple and straightforward. I need extreme complications to keep my interest up. Preferably something with compound pulleys.

JUST KIDDING! Nice design. We do need more pictures though. Video would be even better! (Now see what you've started?)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thanks WV, the lights came on. I will try this, and it will be a good prospect for use on TD stands as well.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Great idea. Made me start asking questions...

Why are we using whoopie slings?

What does the sliding toggle add (other than being a toggle keeper)? You could use the same setup with a toggle (found or not) and marlinspike hitch right?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    Great idea. Made me start asking questions...

Why are we using whoopie slings?

What does the sliding toggle add (other than being a toggle keeper)? You could use the same setup with a toggle (found or not) and marlinspike hitch right?
    As I understand it the sliding toggle is the adjustment itself. A single half hitch is far easier to undo and retie than a marlin spike hitch, making adjustments fairly fast. The single line equals half the cost/weight of the whoopie, if weight even matters.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images
    Nice idea, mind if I steal it? I was going to give Dynaglide UCRs a try with my new DIY bridge that I'm working on, but even with the new prussik loop at the end I'm still nervous about them (been dropped once back when the idea was fresh).

I figured a diagram might be easier than pics. The pics I had seemed confusing because all the lines are the same color.
    And feel free to steal/borrow 'cause I "borrowed" parts of the basic idea already. I havent found anything exactly like this, just figured as much stuff as Ive gleaned from this wonderful place, it was time I shared my own findings.
    As for videos- if someone else who has the capabilities wants to take a shot, feel free...
    Attached Files Attached Files

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast