Thread: Pad addition

Pad addition

I am new I am thru hiking and have a BB hammock. I want to get the 3/4 UQ. But, I am concerned about emergency nights where I will need to sleep on ground. Do you recommend a foot pad or something like it for those ground nights? Weight is an issue. Thoughts?

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by billpowell123 View Post
    I am new I am thru hiking and have a BB hammock. I want to get the 3/4 UQ. But, I am concerned about emergency nights where I will need to sleep on ground. Do you recommend a foot pad or something like it for those ground nights? Weight is an issue. Thoughts?
    I see you're from Martinsburg... Where do you hike? In my (limited) experience, and from what I've read here, the need to go to ground on the East coast is almost non-existent. You may not be right beside the fire like the rest of your buddies in tents, but you'll find a spot.

Edit: Didn't see you said thru-hiking... I assume you mean the AT. I've seen that question asked multiple times here and on Whiteblaze and every time people chime in and say 'Never!' There have been many people who have thru-hiked the entire AT and never went to ground.

Here's one that I found, but there are a lot more: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ground+hammock
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Thanks Great news. Foot pads necessary with 3/4 quilt. I have heard some say they want one to sit on if nothing else

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by billpowell123 View Post
    Thanks Great news. Foot pads necessary with 3/4 quilt. I have heard some say they want one to sit on if nothing else
    Ya I always carry a roughly 24" x 18" CCF sit pad that I use under my feet in the hammock (though I also use a full pad.) It comes in unbelievably handy for any number of things. The first time you kneel at the fire ring to get the fire going you'll be glad you have it. I think mine weighs ~4 oz.

I thought you meant a full length pad for sleeping in a shelter. If I were to carry one, it'd be a small, compressible air pad like a Big Agnes... But my guess (having not done a thru) would be that that thing will be staring at you everytime you take it out of your pack and put it back in until finally you mail it home or sell it off.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

• + New Posts