SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Had to Bail on My UQ Test!!!

Last night I got together all my gear, loaded into the pulk, and headed out into the back forty. You see I have quite a nice little spot set up back there where I enjoy spending time in the winter. I had a purpose for the evening, and that was to test out my new MW4 from JRB in the minus 27 c. weather. It took me a while to set everything up, (you can watch it later on my channel) and then I got to making fire. A two hour relax beside the heat and it was time to jump into my hammock and UQ. I was sleeping in a Canadian Forces mummy bag, and had on a base layer and a fleece layer plus my black watch toque.
    So, I am laying in my hammock listening to the sounds of the snow hitting my tarp and what sounds like a family of moose traipsing through the yard, and my lower back just won't warm up. My legs, feet and upper back are cozy warm. I feel in between the hammock and the UQ and there is a huge gap of cold air right underneath me. I climb out of my sleeping bag, which is a real pain in the buttock, and start playing with my DIY SS for the UQ. Anyways to make a long story short, I could not get the UQ to snug up against my body, and subsequently I had to bail.
    I went back out this morning, and grabbed up all my gear, took down the tarp which a nice layer of fresh snow on it, and brought everything in to thaw. I am glad I tested this out in my backyard before taking it out into the piney woods. It would have been a long cold walk back to the vehicle in the middle of the night
    I'll be posting some pics of my setup (it's nothing special) and you can always watch the video on my youtube channel. If anyone knows why I could not get my UQ positioned properly let me know, I need help with it.
    Last edited by snidetripod; 01-30-2013 at 11:57. Reason: Spelling Check and Grammar
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Sounds like a successful backyard test, handy to have the opportunity.

If the UQ is hanging too low it might need some thicker shockcord, maybe traingle thingies would work or some kind of clip. I've found with some of my heavier quilts I need to use thicker cord otherwise they sag too much.

It's all good fun though, experimenting with new stuff is half the fun

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Dutch sells a wide assortment of quilt hooks. After making sure your shock cord is up to the task, I would look there.

Check the resiliency of you shock cord. At extremely low temps, polyester shock cord can maintain it's stretch better than nylon.

Glad you tested in the backyard!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Some Pics for your viewing pleasure....
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I decided to take some pics of my sleeping bag as well. With this bag and the UQ I should be able to reach temps of -40 c or greater.

Bag detached and Spread out

And a better shot of the hood

Images
    Great report thank you.
    My first question, is the ends of the UQ suppose to be cinched so tight?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like you need to tighten up the UQ suspension to get it up against you. The MW4 is rated to 0º to 10ºF (-17ºC to -12ºC) so you were a bit past it's rating.
    Keep at it....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Judging from the pictures the hanging instructions were not followed...

Also -25 C is pretty cold, -13F and may be affecting the shock cord...But even still it should be able to pull the quilt up snug.

That quilt will snug up to any hammock with the furnished UQ suspension system. Additional hardware is not needed though some may find it useful or reinforcing.

The second wrap of the elastic forward of the hammock supspension knot is not observable thus the angle of the suspension system is too steep t hold the quilt up against the hammock and the end of the UQ are drawn way to tightly...On most hammocks 16-18 inches he distance between the cord locks when drawn is approx 16 inches and the photos look like it is way less perhaps 6-8 inches....This prohibits the hammock from settling down into the quilt.

Shoot me a PM or call on our 800 595 0413 # if additional help is needed.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Like the guys have said, you need that UQ up against the base of your hammock. When I had my little HH Exped I didn't have quilts at the time, I was still using mats back then, I can't see why it wouldn't work though.

A good idea would be to untie the side hammock pull outs so it hangs more like a conventional gathered end hammock. Then get the quilt snugged up so there's no gap between the hammock and the UQ, but not so tight to compress the down.

A different hammock and quilt but you want to be aiming for more like this ..

or

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Judging from the pictures the hanging instructions were not followed...

Also -25 C is pretty cold, -13F and may be affecting the shock cord...But even still it should be able to pull the quilt up snug.

That quilt will snug up to any hammock with the furnished UQ suspension system. Additional hardware is not needed though some may find it useful or reinforcing.

The second wrap of the elastic forward of the hammock suspension knot is not observable thus the angle of the suspension system is too steep t hold the quilt up against the hammock and the end of the UQ are drawn way to tightly...On most hammocks 16-18 inches he distance between the cord locks when drawn is approx 16 inches and the photos look like it is way less perhaps 6-8 inches....This prohibits the hammock from settling down into the quilt.

Shoot me a PM or call on our 800 595 0413 # if additional help is needed.

Pan
    Hey, ya I didn't get the suspension yet so I tried to make one myself, (you guys have shipped the suspension to me). I have shortened up my DIY SS and also have some proper whoopees and other things coming from Dutch now, and when the real SS gets here I am sure it will hang beautifully. I did not have the suspension looped around the hammock suspension again, I have gone to the installation page and I should have followed the directions to install the suspension correctly. Just testing it out, I am really happy with it, this is a superior product. Like I said, my legs were extremely warm and so was my upper back, just my lower and buttocks areas were cold. They did not start cold though, I was warm when I got in. I think that this quilt can be pushed to colder temps than what it's rated for with a proper sleeping bag like mine. Thanks for all the feedback guys and I will definitely shoot you a pm when I need assistance Peter.
    Last edited by snidetripod; 01-30-2013 at 19:28.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast