GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH

Swing and a miss!

Just went to the local park to set up my Superfly for the first time. I was not able to complete this goal. The wind was picking up and the thing was completely uncontrollable. I knew I needed skins, but I didn't realize I needed them that badly. What was really worrisome is that knots do not hold in dyneema at all. I had done a few tests and thought a taut line hitch would work but it will not hold in winds. Just as I started getting frustrated the sky opened up on me and dumped rain... Icing on the cake.

So with two days until this weekend's planned backpacking trip what can I do? Any adjustable knots that work in dyneema? Any hardware available at Wally World that works? I'm really just at a loss with what to do with my ridge line now.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Images
    When I first got back in to hammocking I played with all the different tarpline setups but the wind out here was just tooo strong and they failed. Since then I have gone to a very simple setup.
    For my four corners I have fixed length with two loops. One for storm mode and one for porch.
    I use an under the tarp RL for the added support and prussic's with clips for the tarps RL D-rings.

Setting up in the wind is a learning experience. best of luck to you...

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I like the idea of fixed lengths for the guys. I may do that. Thanks!

What are you using to tie to the tree... That seems to be my problem area. The only thing that worked was a bowline... But tying the second tree with a bowline, while keeping it taught, was impossible.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I like the idea of fixed lengths for the guys. I may do that. Thanks!

What are you using to tie to the tree... That seems to be my problem area. The only thing that worked was a bowline... But tying the second tree with a bowline, while keeping it taught, was impossible.
    A great way to stow those fixed lines is to wrap them around the nylon tab that holds the D-ring with a half hitch when you get close to the end.
    I do this with the RL ends as well. Keeps them from tangling and there is nothing more flustrating than untangling tarp lines in the wind.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/dutch-flyz/

Or is your in a pinch you can use the mini figure 9 by nite ize, they usually sell them at hardware stores.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    +1 on the small nite ize figure 9's... They would work.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I feel really stupid now, but I just rewatched Brandon's video on setting up his tarps and he recommends a larks head (girth hitch?) around the trees and then a trucker's hitch and a buntline hitch on either ends of the tarp, the trucker's hitch being the adjustable point... For some reason I was thinking the fixed eyes of the tarp were larksheaded onto the tarp ring and the knots were on the tree side... Now that I think of it his way is much better.

Unfortunately it's still pouring out, so I can't go test this, but this seems like my solution. Eventually I'll probably just get tarp flyz, but if everything works the way Brandon describes I may not even bother. Does anyone do it that way?

Outandback - Thanks for the idea of wrapping the guys on the D rings... That worked great and made my tarp stow much tidier.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I submit this as it may give some insight......
    Shug

PART 5: Tarps .... we love 'em .... we need 'em! Especially if you are a hammock hanger. We are going on a tarp journey ....I hope to cover MOST of the info. You are gonna have to do some research and trials yourself. It is the only way. The only. Site selection and widow-makers are touched on. Knots ... I cover a few but not all by any means! A looky-see at the continuous ridgeline for tarp. Under the tarp for snow camping. See the much talked about "figure 9" in action. Oh, the thrill! Toggles on tarp d-rings. Whooooo Pull outs on tarps. Some guy line speak. A look inside my DIY winter Tarp with Doors. A Coyote kill site.

PART 6: We go over proper tarpage over the hammock. Focus on ends ...... See how the tarp moves and slides for adjustability on the continuous ridgeline. Where to tie the tarp on the trees. Not into continuous ridgeline? We go old school and simple. Tie right of the end of the tarp with two lines. Look at a couple of easy-peasy knots. THESE ARE NOT THE ONLY KNOTS THAT YOU CAN USE..... There are so many. These are just what I use.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Watched those ages ago but I never mind rewatching your videos. You guys have given me a lot to think about... I suspect my tarp will be a work in progress for a while to come.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post

Outandback - Thanks for the idea of wrapping the guys on the D rings... That worked great and made my tarp stow much tidier.
    You are welcome.
    It was taught to me here on HF and I have used it ever since. I'm glad I could pass it on.

Figuring out what works best for you is a learning experience and for me that is half the fun of hammock camping.
    If I learned it all in one night I probably would have gotten board by now and moved on to another hobby.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast