Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Beanie: I used the sticks in the ground method for ages, and it worked brilliantly! Definitely one of the best ways to store your shoes I've come across. I do find though, that having them hang off the side of the hammock keeps them much closer to hand, as well as slightly less effort of getting sticks into the ground. (which can sometimes be rocky, or just plain annoying...) It also means you can swing the hammock without worrying about sticks digging into your kidney. Should you wish to that is... =P

Moel Siabod: You could definitely do that, although I imagine it'd be a bit of a fiddle to get them on properly after a beer or two around the camp fire. Or even worse, if you're in a hurry when nature calls in the middle of the night? With my trusty hanger, (which I now completely love!) I just throw them on there and I know they'll stay there and can be grabbed easily.

Patroclus: I'm really struggling to make it much smaller. I think I need to try a new material, because the lighter versions I've made with thermoplastic haven't been sturdy enough to hold two big walking boots.

Anyone fancy making one out of titanium?
    Last edited by lucky5tar5; 02-01-2013 at 15:57. Reason: P.S. My Meindl Torontos don't have pull tabs, so I was scuppered there regardless. =(

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    I think you are right about how fiddly my suggestion would be after a sesh around the campfire. How about something like this
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    for when it's nasty, i came up with another rig. if you dig around either end of a hennessy ridgeline, inside, there's a loop. i tied a short piece of paracord to it (at both ends of the hammock). at the head end, i hung a small biner on the ridgeline and figured out a comfortable place to have a stuff sack attached to it. i then use the paracord to tie to the biner, keeping it at that distance (so it doesn't slide down to the middle). No, this has nothing to do with shoes (yet). You can keep a small stuff sack right there in that wasted space over your head, with whatever you want handy (like for a water bottle or book).

At the foot end, i did the same thing, but with a bigger biner and a longer piece of cord. if i sit in the middle and reach forward, that's where i want the biner. it's roughly 2' from the end. anyway, hang your shoes over the ridgeline INSIDE your hammock. clip the biner to the laces to keep them from sliding down toward the middle. then velcro the opening shut with your dirty muddy shoes OUTSIDE, hanging down through the slit. if you need them, they're handy. but they're outside, not getting your stuff muddy. and they're hanging in far enough from the edge of the tarp that they won't get rained on.

hope that's clear enough to understand.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Those plastic shoe hangers are exactly what prompted me to make mine and see if it would work! I tried buying some, but they're super nasty to look at, and break easily if they're stuffed in your bag wrong: http://www.betterware.co.uk/shoe-han...oncode=FROOGLE
    I also like to use my bag as a seat on occasion, and I'm pretty sure I would snap the hell out of them in two seconds...

I know exactly what you mean Seeker, and it sounds like a brilliant way to store them! Unfortunately I've got a side entry version so I can't give it a go. I already use the loops at the end up my internal ridgeline to keep small drybags with toiletries, headtorch etc, but I really like the idea of having some cordage coming from the loops to limit how far along the ridge line everything goes. I've been bugged by everything gathering in the middle for a while, but I was going to try attaching a few lightweight prusiks to hang various objects from. Might try both!

I'm going to have another go at making another hanger, cause it works well, but I desperately want it lighter. I've just made a beer holder out of the same plastic, but I suspect that's one for another thread...

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just tie the laces of my boots together and drape them over the head end of my hammock, outside but under the tarp. That keps them off the ground and away from porcupines and other critters that might like to chew on my salty boots.

I wear sandals around camp and have a short piece of cord with a mini-biner on one end hanging from the ridge-line inside the foot end of the hammock which I pass through the straps of my sandals so they hang there waiting for me to wake up and put them on so I can hop out and pee.

I tried hanging them on a longer cord out the entry slit of my bottom-entry Hennessy, but found it awkward and uncomfortable to push my feet and arms both through the slit and try to put my sandals on. I find it much easier to put my sandals on inside the hammock, and they don't seem to pick up much forest duff or leaves on the bottom of the sandals just walking around camp, so they stay fairly clean and don't get the inside of the hammock dirty.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm really liking the idea of having some camp sandals to slip on easily! I'd probably just leave them on the floor underneath the hammock and leap straight into them! Although, I already have down booties for inside the hammock, are camp site sandals taking it a bit far?

It really sucks that the woodland in my area is always very damp and muddy throughout most of the year, so I'd almost definitely not get away with hanging sandals inside my hammock. My shoes always end up 70% mud, 20% water and 10% leather by the time we've set up camp, so unless I bring some kind of brush, or something...? But now I'm just getting carried away...

I guess it's a really good option if weight/pack size isn't an issue, so I'll definitely give it a go on some of the really dry summer trips! =)

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Come to think of it, one of the joys of hammocking, especially with a top quilt, is that I don't need to get up in the night to pee. I simply dangle my....well I'm sure you can imagine how it works.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post
    Come to think of it, one of the joys of hammocking, especially with a top quilt, is that I don't need to get up in the night to pee. I simply dangle my....well I'm sure you can imagine how it works.
    The 'ham dangle' is one of my favourite ways to go in a hammock! I suppose I'll have to be careful not to pee directly in to my shoes from now on...

Never eat asparagus before attempting the ham dangle!

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Hi LuckyStars

If you are looking for a smaller more robust solution, how about using some aluminium to make the loops and hooks for the boots. If you wanted to add a bit of friction you could use some Sugaru Rubber this would help protect the lining in the boots from the small contact area of the rods.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky5tar5 View Post
    The 'ham dangle' is one of my favourite ways to go
    Never thought I'd be taking part in a thread about ham danglin'. Do you think it's a phrase that can cross the cultural divide and be understood by our hammocking cousins across the pond?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast