SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

What's it like to hike with Shug? Enjoyable!

Given the notoriety of his videos on this forum, and the comments I've seen about "wouldn't it be great to hike with Shug!", I thought I'd do a quick post about my experiences of the last few days.

Shug and I both live in the Twin Cities and had been e-mailing for a while trying to connect on an outing. We finally made it out together this week on a 3-day, 2-night arctic snowshoe trip up on the Superior Hiking Trail. Here's my observations:

• He's a nice guy: kind, considerate, easygoing, sharing. Likes to say good things about other people. Always offering me a cigar
    • He has the self-confidence to be very open and honest about himself. After 3 days I know more about Shug than many people I've known for years.
    • He's a very experienced & knowledgeable backpacker. Don't let the self-deprecating humor fool you, this guy knows what he's doing.
    • He's in good shape. Must be the offroad unicycling. We broke 6 miles of trail through 2-3 feet of powder, and we always made better time when he was in the lead.
    • He's not like his video persona all the time. I've known some entertainers that were always doing a "bit", but most of the time he's a regular guy.
    • Doesn't like "dead air" when he's driving. We talked non-stop during the drive up and back. Interestingly, as soon as we got on the trail we focused on Nature around us or the task at hand, and most of our conversation was over dinner.

We were fortunate to have a similar hiking pace, endurance, and share many of the same values despite being very different people. I don't recall a moment of tension or discomfort between us.

If you ever have the opportunity to hike with Shug, I advise you to do so.

Regards,
    --Kurt

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Now that's a "rave review." Says much about both of you. Glad you had a great time and you are safe. I know from picking canoe partners that it can be a crap shoot, and when it is good, it is very, very good.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post

We were fortunate to have a similar hiking pace, endurance, and share many of the same values despite being very different people. I don't recall a moment of tension or discomfort between us.

Regards,
    --Kurt
    This is a group I would love to join! Well, except I probably couldn't keep up with you guys!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Given the notoriety of his videos on this forum, and the comments I've seen about "wouldn't it be great to hike with Shug!", I thought I'd do a quick post about my experiences of the last few days.

Shug and I both live in the Twin Cities and had been e-mailing for a while trying to connect on an outing. We finally made it out together this week on a 3-day, 2-night arctic snowshoe trip up on the Superior Hiking Trail. Here's my observations:

• He's a nice guy: kind, considerate, easygoing, sharing. Likes to say good things about other people. Always offering me a cigar
    • He has the self-confidence to be very open and honest about himself. After 3 days I know more about Shug than many people I've known for years.
    • He's a very experienced & knowledgeable backpacker. Don't let the self-deprecating humor fool you, this guy knows what he's doing.
    • He's in good shape. Must be the offroad unicycling. We broke 6 miles of trail through 2-3 feet of powder, and we always made better time when he was in the lead.
    • He's not like his video persona all the time. I've known some entertainers that were always doing a "bit", but most of the time he's a regular guy.
    • Doesn't like "dead air" when he's driving. We talked non-stop during the drive up and back. Interestingly, as soon as we got on the trail we focused on Nature around us or the task at hand, and most of our conversation was over dinner.

Regards,
    --Kurt
    based on what he says on HF and the way he says it, none of this is any surprise at all.

Being bred Minnesotan and all, I would sure like to hit the Superior trail with you Northern guys sometime.

not necessarily in -25 F.

true story--I was in Northfield MN the winter of 1992, living walking distance from where I was working. One night trudged home in HOWLING wind, bundled up so that only my eyes were exposed. Found out that with wind chill I'd just spent 15 minutes in -75 F. The next morning it was quite still, but crisp. I walked in enjoying the sun and the stillness. Other people came dragging into work a touch late, some because they'd had to scramble to arrange for child care. You see the governor had declared a "cold emergency" for that day and schools were closed. I'd just walked through -35 F....Now, the thought of camping outside in that cold would not have occurred to me, although 10 years later I spent a couple of nights out in -20 F, in a bivy sack, in a snow trench.

Brain cells die as you age, I'm told. Maybe I think I am ready to hang in -25 F

Grizz

It's like it didn't happen - until Shug posts the video.

Hurry Shug!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Yeah, I'd love to join this group (we could call ourselves the Northern Fringe) on the trail any day. I'd like to think I could do what you and Shug just did and I'm pretty sure I could for two or three days, but I'm not crazy enough to try anymore - at least not on purpose. I've mellowed in my old age, like a fine port, and would prefer to sit at home by a fire with same in these conditions.

I think we need to have a special get together this summer.

The Great American HangOut.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Regards,
    --Kurt
    Kurt was the trail-breaking monster!!!! A terrific guy ... very organized and fun to be out with as he is very self reliant and knows his stuff. Fun to see him come out of the bottom of his Hennessy.....
    We did have the same passion for the Piney Woods. He was very brave to go backpacking with me.
    True ... no discomfort ...other than the temps!!

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Now that's a "rave review." Says much about both of you. Glad you had a great time and you are safe. I know from picking canoe partners that it can be a crap shoot, and when it is good, it is very, very good.
    Yes ... hammockers are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    This is a group I would love to join! Well, except I probably couldn't keep up with you guys!
    Ahhh ...yeah you could. We is old school.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    based on what he says on HF and the way he says it, none of this is any surprise at all.
    Being bred Minnesotan and all, I would sure like to hit the Superior trail with you Northern guys sometime.
    not necessarily in -25 F.
    Grizz
    Anytime Grizz ... anytime!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    It's like it didn't happen - until Shug posts the video.
    Hurry Shug!
    Should be out tomorrow ... if YouTube behaves.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to join this group (we could call ourselves the Northern Fringe) on the trail any day. I'd like to think I could do what you and Shug just did and I'm pretty sure I could for two or three days, but I'm not crazy enough to try anymore - at least not on purpose. I've mellowed in my old age, like a fine port, and would prefer to sit at home by a fire with same in these conditions.
    Sometime when it not as cold then......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sometime when it not as cold then......
    It's a deal - maybe I can talk Grizz into meeting up and driving up together to do a hike in the Piney woods - when it warms up a little! I'm planning on doing my annual BWCA trip in May, but with canoe. We should talk - an Ice Age trail trip in Wisconsin (pick a section - it basically runs the whole state, but camping is stealth in a lot of areas,) a St. Croix saunter or a Superior Trail hike. Lots of opportunity in our area, and I know Grizz is willing to travel for a good hang and good company, as am I. I really wish you could have done Mt. Rogers this year. Ahh, something to look forward to/plan for next year.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

1 vote for Ice Age

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    an Ice Age trail trip in Wisconsin (pick a section - it basically runs the whole state, but camping is stealth in a lot of areas,) a St. Croix saunter or a Superior Trail hike.
    I vote for an Ice Age trail section. I am a cheesehead by birth, but I've yet to take a step on the Ice Age trail. I like the idea of splitting the driving distance and meeting midway somewhere. Ice Age is somehow fitting for the group as well...

There's a section north of Antigo where my in-laws live that goes through what looks to be a beautiful tamarack grove. I've had my eye on that for years, always thought it would be a great hike in late October when the tamaracks turn color, but that would mean waiting until Fall. If we did something in this area I could get my bro-in-law to shuttle us.

Another possibility would be an NCT section in Wisconsin in the Chequamegon NF near Mellon. This would be a longer drive for you though.

Let's keep talking.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast