Bugs through bottom of SB?

I will be using my SB alot on islands in and around Mosquito Lagoon, FL in the spring/summer...need I say more? Are they going to get to me through the actual hammock if I'm in there in shorts and Tshirt? After I recieved the hammock and saw how thin it was, I'm thinking so...
    What are the options - treating it, extra layer, ect.?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I used Permethrin to treat all my stuff in Florida; hammocks, clothing, boots, etc. It was made for ticks, but works great on mosquitoes too. It does not kill them right away like it does with ticks, but usually long before they get around to sticking their poker thru the hammock material.

Really great stuff and it lasts at least 4 weeks depending on which brand you go with. My best results were with the Sawyer brand. The stuff they sell in Walmart (Permone I think) is made by Repel and works, but not as well or for as long.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    if you're going to use a pad you shouldn't have a problem. But since you are in Fla you may want to try the Permethrin. I slept in mine a few times this summer here in KY and never got bitten by the pesky skeeters, but I also had a pad underneath me as well.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, permethrin works for me. Because I am in the ocean alot,I had my doubts initially, because of it's toxicity to marine life. I did some research, and it's not a problem at the levels that you are going to pick up on your skin. Just apply it outdoors, let it dry completely, and keep cats away from it until it's dry. Very toxic to cats, too.

Images
    If your hammock has a double bottom you should be fine. If not, don't sleep bare skinned against the hammock. clothing might protect you. I have done a lot of testing (hammock materials, layers, chemicals, ect) to see what prevents me from being bitten. I have found that only a double layered bottom protects me. Wearing clothing works pretty well but who wants to be fully dressed in a hammock in Florida? Permethrin does kill mosquitos, just not very fast. It does not have the knock down power to prevent them from having a little snack first. I even tried spraying my hammock with DEET and it did work better than nothing at all, but I still suffered bites.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts