Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    UK Hammocks Woodsman X Single layer
    Insulation
    UKHammocks Full UQ
    Suspension
    DutchCinch Buckles

lightweight tarp advice UK

I'm sure this question is done to death but I've not found a definitive answer in scanning the forums.
    I'm looking for a lighter hammock tarp and advice.

[Sorry to our US cousins for the metric dimensions and weights, and Uk tarps and suppliers. I can import but that can bring a lot of import tax and shipping.]

I'm looking for my next tarp. Preferably light weight. As I'm switching to hammock sleeping for the sake of saving weight (and evidentially gaining comfort).

I've just purchased a DD Hammocks 3mx3m (9'x9') (PU coated polyester) tarp, which seems to weigh in at 850g (29oz) in it's stuff sack (Bit more than the 720g than the manufacturers stated weight). I have to admit from setting up without a hammock It seems huge. (Woodsman X double skin Hammock hopefully arrives Monday but I've been practising tarp setups)

I went for the DD because most people seem to think 3x3M was a comfortable size for a hammock and it was a cheap but reasonable choice.

But I'm already wincing at the weight and wondering what next?
    Sil nylon? for similar dimensions I can get down to about 500g (17oz) but not particularly cheap (£50-100).
    Cuben fiber seems amazing but very expensive (£150 and up).
    And what size, can I get away with a smaller tarp? or am I asking for trouble.

I've looked into the AlpKit.com Rig[7] which seems a decent price but reportedly had manufacturing issues a while back.
    And into Backpackinglight.co.uk 's Solo and Duo tarps (which are dearer).

Am I better off saving up for a cuben fibre and putting up with the DD for now?

I'm a weight freak but I'm also poor after the hammock (and a new car)

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jetblackstar; 01-26-2013 at 21:03.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl,DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&dutchware
    Heya jetblackstar,

I have a similar problem as you with the distance from the US manufacturers that tend to make most of the quality hammock products, but we in Australia don't have the import tax. If a "friend or relative" out of the UK sends you something as a gift is it still taxed?

If not maybe someone you trust can forward a tarp to you?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB SL, HH ULBP,Clark Flex
    Tarp
    HG4Scamo,Vertex
    Insulation
    UKhammocks,Yeti 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ukhammocks sell the warbonnet superfly. Great tarp with a good reputation umong hammockers. And sure worth the price.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I had the same problem (dd 4x4) and couldn't afford a wb tarp from uk hammocks so I am diying a silnylon tarp. Worth considering?

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Same problem here but from Spain. I looked at the rig (alpkit) but it's only in blue at this moment, the duo and the ID double sil tarp but I'm used to use a poncho tarp with minimum cover in late spring/summer and think that a WB Edge will fit for me in our warm winter (living in Mallorca).

I've got a UK hammocks woodsman lite and will wait till Mat has the edge in stock again.
    If I wanted something bigger will pick the mambajamba, superfly it's great but overkill for my weather conditions.

Not too much options for us without breaking the bank xD

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Will love to have a WL tadpole or WB edge moded like the black DIY tarp by shug

Just enough for me

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    I had many great nights under one of these.

Mine clocks 550g on the scales. Cost as little a £5 if you shop around. At that price you don't worry about abusing it but the can easily be reinforced around the grommets if it does show signs of wear.

Eventually I saved up to buy cuben from the states but I'm still not sure it was worth it.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly Guy!
    Insulation
    Pad/UQ Depending
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Ti's
    You are somewhat limited in the UK (as I am/was).

Cuben is out of my reach cost wise, but silnylon ideal. For all weather I used a DD 3x3, but was fortunate enough to purchase a MacCat medium off BCUK. The weight difference (although the MC is obviously smaller and different cut) was huge when comparing silnylon to laminated polyester. Water also just pours off it. I recently purchased a Warbonnet superfly purely as a winter tarp but have not had the chance to use it much, as yet.

As posted previously, Alpkit do a smashing silnylon tarp for £50 so it may be worth waiting until blacks back in stock. The original issue was the eye's on the first run suffered leakage due to a too small patch being used to seam seal them, this was corrected some time ago. Mat at UkHammocks can supply the full Warbonnet range, akaik, the edge is similar in size/weight to the MacCat I have and Backpacking light have a few of their own silnylons available.

Personally, I would try to pick up a MacCat off here SH, or take the customs hit.
    They are very, very well made tarps.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hammock
    UK Hammocks Woodsman X Single layer
    Insulation
    UKHammocks Full UQ
    Suspension
    DutchCinch Buckles
    First off thanks people. Loads of really helpful responses.

Custom job is certainly not out of consideration. Does anyone have an idea on rough cost or source for sil nylon materials if I did go that route?

I'll look into the Warbonnet tarps again. First time I'd winced due to cost (£75-110 from Mat), but as often happens I'm realising the cost of what I'm asking for :P And coming around.
    I see Mat is out of stock on some of the Warbonnet tarps. I'll ask him about them after I get to play with his hammock hopefully on Monday

I do have some trustworthy friends in the US who could post "gifts" for me if that works out. As long as I don't annoy them and send them plenty of british food/beer they miss from living here

If Alpkit have resolved their issues I'm quite tempted by their Rig 7. Decent price and and size (£50 514g). I'm in no rush so I can wait for non bright blue options.

The Hex offerings from WB are becoming more tempting. Sounds like I can have the DD3x3 for bad weather and Id hope I can go smaller and lighter Like the WB Edge? 280g is very appealing.

How do people find Elongated Hex tarps? First glance would make me think there are less setup options (No choice between diagonal pitch or A frame etc) but without having actually camped with a tarp yet I've no idea if that would be an unnecessary luxury anyway.

I'll also have a look at these really cheap tarps. I'm amazed there that light. I thought those cheap poly tarps were really heavy.

Again thanks people.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Here is the only place (I know of) in the EU to buy silnylon, I got 22m just before xmas, at 4.9 euros per m it's not THAT inexpensive but about 40 euros for a superfly sized tarp isn't too bad.

Across the puddle the place to go seems to be DIY gear supply $5.50 per yard. Plus the site has a couple of great guides for DIY tarps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast