Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit

Post Google Trekker

I found this NPR story today about how Google Street View is being extended to the outdoors, including hiking trails.

"A few months back, Google released a few of its engineers into the wild with a camera called the Google Trekker. Their mission was (and is) to capture America's wilder landscapes for Google Maps — starting with the Grand Canyon's Bright Angel Trail and South Kaibob Trail, and other scenic overlooks like the Colorado River."

Whenever possible, I like to see something to judge how well it will work for me and my family, this includes outdoor locations. I think Google Trekker will be a huge resource for people like me in that I can get a feel for a place without having to go there initially or make a choice based solely on someone else's description of an area, but not everyone feels this way.

I'm interested in what this group of well seasoned outdoors people and hikers think.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow...akes-a-hike-so
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I think this is a great idea. Not only does it give access to trail I might never experience but it also get us closer to the "Total recall" experience.
    Find potential water sources, scenic outlooks and trip planning benefits.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Nice to recon an area for trip planning. But a lot of what I love is the adventure of not knowing everything before going. Might use if I'm taking a group out somewhere new.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Nice, but too much for me. I love technology and that shows when I'm using aerial shots for selecting camping and hunting spots. For me, there's a gray area that starts to take the fun out of getting outdoors. Almost like there are no more areas to get lost and explore.

Maybe I'm getting old, LOL. Another example is flashlights. I'm into high-end flashlights and the stuff they're coming out today with is just rediculous. LCD readouts on the body showing brightness, battery life, etc...come on.

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I just want to be the guy who gets to walk around with that awesome Star Trekish looking backpack. Everyone you pass would have to ask a million question.

I would total pull out my flip phone and say two to beam up Scotty every time I stop to talk to someone.

Oh and as far as seeing the trail before hiking it, I have enough trouble not getting lost in the woods. I don't need two white arrows pointing in the same direction helping me with that.

I'll stick with topos and trail maps.

There's been some trails available for viewing on this site http://naturevalleytrailview.com/ for a while now. While some my be of the opinion that a flash mob of hikers my result from viewing these trails. Maybe my standards are too high or I'm just jaded from living near the North Cascades......But....after viewing some of these trails i was kind of let down.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Here's the links for the Google Trail views for the Bright Angel Trail, South Kaibab Trail, and Meteor Crater. Fun way to spend some time while you're at work....

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Was sent a link to the trails a few days ago and they are great resources. Several of us are planning a trip into the GC coming up soon. There has been a lot of discussion about hammocks in the parks backcountry. We are working with the park to start establish some regulations regarding hammocks and their use in this delicate environment. Much of that has focused around the limited number of trees and the slow rate that they grow at while looking to see if some of the exsisting man made structures could be used to hang from. Our trip will hopefully lead to a solid policy along with permanent hanging options that will conserve the natural resources. Looking through the google trail images has already been helpfull in determining is some of the man made structures will work to hang from as well as if a hammock stand/pole set could be installed at the campgrounds as a permant hammock option. Following the trip I am sure we will have a serious trip report as well as some topics to discuss on the forum about our exsperiances in the park.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    I'm sure some people will complain...there was more water form the waterfall when I google trekked this trail, the leaves were a prettier color on google, it wasn't so hot on the computer last week....

On the flip side...maybe it will take a little pressure off the trails.....

swank

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Nice to recon an area for trip planning. But a lot of what I love is the adventure of not knowing everything before going. Might use if I'm taking a group out somewhere new.
    Not knowing seems to be a rarity of experiences for most people these days. Too much information and not enough action.

+1 for staying unknown until experienced

• + New Posts