Hammock
    Breyman 1.1 ACU, GTUL, TL DBL
    Tarp
    BMJ, GG 12x12
    Insulation
    Incbtr 20, No Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoop whoop!
    Tents are not that uncommon here in the Adirondacs.
    I haven't hunted FROM the hammock per se. But a base camp has allowed me to stay overnight in the woods. And now, when out solo, I hang.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpath View Post
    Well, I don't go after the big bucks, rather have a medium sized doe. On the other hand, I've never had the skill or good fortune to actually shoot a deer at all. I'm usually just sitting in the woods freezing my A** off. I do have friends that I butcher their deer for and they keep me in venison, so maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to hang out all day!
    Thats not to say it can't be done. Try it if you want..you never know till you do try it. Years ago I used to hang in a Anderson Tree Sling but after a few hours hanging from sitting in it and with part of it supporting the back as well,,it would cut the blood flow off in the hips and legs as it kinda squeezed you as you sat in it,,,had to be super careful and lean against tree or branch with gun to shoot from it to keep from moving while in it. Couldn't use a bow period. I can see using a cross bow tho from it. But..it just wasn't a all day hunt as it would eventually become uncomforatable. I now use it tho every day hunting as I can wrap it around my body and lean way out of the stand and shoot from any angle morso over the saftely body harnesses that are recommended. But the Anderson Tree Sling is no longer made.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I don't know, I would sure do a lot of practice someplace. Shooting from a hammock would probably require some new skills. I can think of a lot of funny (to watch) things that could happen. Be sure your insurance is current.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I am thinking a hammock with the sides tied out and staked down so that it doens't swing,,would maybe work,,less movement with sides tied and staked down like a skeeterbeater pro or WBBB. Install loops on the sides and tie the sides down to keep the movement or swinging down to a minimum.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Closest thing I can think of is the tree lounge. Always wanted one of those

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Why do you think I bought an ogee?........... The ultimate gun, archery blind....... I am sure it can be done.. Location is everything.. Tarp pitch is another well thought out plan......... Personally I would go with the smaller hammock chair and even a custom size smaller tarp when needed for most times... If you ghost into an area and sleep in that morning which the hammock usually does to me..... I wouldn't hesitate hunting from it.... I shoot longbow and recurve, have for all my life so, heavy canting if needed is no problem or shootin laying down for that matter... Must keep eyes open.......
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    There is a climbing stand that is kinda hammocky.
    The Tree Lounge.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    closest i've come is spending the night in one and then walking from the campsite to my stand opening day.

another time, i had something hit me in the butt as it walked under my hammock, as i was hanging in the back yard (it's partly wooded with a creek in the back corner)... figure it was either a fox or a raccoon...

wouldn't try it though. recoil, and hanging a long-gun out the side would screw up your balance. i'd rather rest it on a box stand window sill or shooting rail on a climber.

Hammock
    warbonnet of course
    Tarp
    sf
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpath View Post
    I think from the position of sitting down in the hammock with maybe a shooting stick to level your aim, can't see why it couldn't be done...Get some of that burlap camo stuff with some holes in it...
    I have a lot and i mean a lot of trouble believing that someone is going to be able to take an ethical shot on an animal that is close enough to a hammock setup at all and then on top of that be able to squeeze off a well placed shot while relying on 3 points of contact, two of which being literally cordage while sitting inside what is essentially a large wind sail.....

I shoot a lot, I have been shooting competitively starting with small bore and biathalon since high school and currently shoot high power matches as well as biathalon and some other pistol comps. I honestly don't know if its possible to do what you are describing, and do it ethically, but it is very strange to spend countless hours of training just practicing over and over again things like npoa, respitory pause, bone support, dragging wood, sight focus, follow through, sling support, points of contact, bipod loading, rear bag use, and on and on and on only to be decent at your sport and then hear some ask about hitting a bull while wobbling from the seat of a freaking hammock....

If I ever have to take a shot from my hammock theres really only one animal I would ever see myself shooting, and its only got two legs and at that point id probably be shooting through the hammock as well as sitting on it.

Hammock
    warbonnet of course
    Tarp
    sf
    I also just realized that it could actually have some very interesting recoil reducing properties as well as a fairly cool demonstration of newtons 3rd law. that part would be interesting I guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast