Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I kind of goofed up my ENO hammock. Anyone know how to tie the end-ties back?

As I'm sure y'all know, the ENO hammocks come with huge carabiners attached. I figured I didn't need them so took them off. Well I went a step further and figured I could run my whoopie slings right through the channel and get rid of the rope part at the end as well. While this did work, it was to the overall detriment of the hammock, as it now snugs down too tightly (before, the ropes helped spread out the tension a bit, where as now, the whoopies cinch down too tightly in the channel) so now in a DoubleNest, only one person can lay in it (not ideal for many reasons ).

So I'm hoping that perhaps someone here knows how to tie them back (I kept the small bits of rope since "you never know when you're going to need this for something else!") or perhaps another way to tie them on as securely (knots are not my forte). I remember they ran them through twice, tied the knot, moved the knot inside the channel, and then did some loopy thing at the end to attach the carbiner to, but beyond that, not enough to replicate it again.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    That's interesting. I replaced the suspension in my old ENO DN with Amsteel (basically same size as Whoopies) and didn't really notice any difference in the hang. I was never able to get remotely comfortable with two people in mine, even with the stock suspension. But that's just my $.02.

As for your question, you are correct that the original suspension lines went through the channel once, back through the channel, and the two ends were knotted together (and the knot moved into the channel). As for the knot to bring the two ends together, I believe it was a double fisherman's knot. The other knot into which the biner clipped was a slip knot, formed by making a loop in the line, and then passing a bite through the loop. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'll see if I can find a demo.

Edited: here is a demo of the slip knot that you would make in the loop for the biner http://www.animatedknots.com/slip/index.php. This demo is a little different than what you will do because it is shown using the knot at the end of a rope, instead of the middle of a loop like you will be doing, but the mechanics of tying the knot are the same.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; 02-02-2013 at 07:06.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I don't have an ENO, but I too am surprised that you can feel a difference using the amsteel. But, anyway, it was probably a loop of rope made with a double fisherman's knot, then the LOOP (two widths of the rope) was passed through the channel, then the loop was girth hitched (one loop passes through the other loop).

Because the loop is formed before you pass it through the channel, you won't need a lot of extra line.

My advice is to do the exact same proceed outlined above with amsteel, only passing the loop through the channel twice. This will give the channel a little more "spread". Good luck to you!!!

EDIT: Looking at pictures of the ENOs on line, there does appear to be a double overhand knot in the rope below the carabiner. I suspect this is just to keep the carabiner at the end of the line--more of a convenience than anything. This extra knot derates the line anyway, so I wouldn't worry about replicating it if you can't.
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 02-02-2013 at 07:39.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks
    Tarp
    Hg Cf hex and OMW
    Insulation
    Revolt & RevX T/Q
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    I used this video to help me to remove the whoopie slings and replaced the stock suspension back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q&sns=em

You can see how the stock suspension was removed

I'm surprised you can feEel th dIffereNce. I swapped mine out or whoopies and just ran the line through twice to give it some extra surface.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchCinch
    Also surprised you notice a difference. Let me know if it feels better after you replace the stock suspension. I am using amsteel continuous loop which is fed through and larks headed to itself outside the channel.
    Monday

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Another surprised person that that made a noticeable difference. However, here is the ultimate solution to spreading out the ends if the hammock, thanks to out member, Redoleary....
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52094
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I do understand how you notice the difference however, rather than switching back to the standard suspension, think in terms of dressing a knot. Changing up the path the amsteel travels may make a difference.

Check out Just jeff's site tothewoods.net. He demonstrates how whipping a gathered end hammock slightly in slightly different manners can affect the lie of the hammock.

Good luck

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I do understand how you notice the difference however, rather than switching back to the standard suspension, think in terms of dressing a knot. Changing up the path the amsteel travels may make a difference.

Check out Just jeff's site tothewoods.net. He demonstrates how whipping a gathered end hammock slightly in slightly different manners can affect the lie of the hammock.

Good luck
    Plus 1.......id say your knot is not uniformly tightened ,or is cocked off to the side changeing the pull from center to side.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I would take them out and follow this video.Use a dull knife pry a the rope off eachother.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast