DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    one thing i know works well is what HOI said, but i would tend to use the same tree for the foot ends of the hammocks, & two trees for the head ends.
    the distance between the two trees at the head end could be any thing from a double tree to two trees several feet apart.
    the distance apart would be something you would just have to experiment with & see what suits you best.
    one large tree w/ hammock supports on both sides like you mentioned might work fine too if it doesn't put you too close so that you feel squished.

the spreader bar would probably work fine too. i'd be tempted to post an email to dave on the yahoo group & ask him for details on his experiments.
    the spreader bar might be closer to what you'd call "load bearing" than you think. i believe it would be under a fair amount of stress holding two occupied hammocks apart. but the walking cane or pole would probably do the job.
    you would just need some well made attachments to add to the hammock supports to hold the ends of the spreader bar.
    the spreader attachments on my hammock aren't under nearly that much stress because they are just holding the hammock open. but i made them out of webbing. something similar could probably be done for your support spreaders.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think we talked about this when we were designing your hammock chair...use his pole and not your cane for the spreader.

1 - You might want your cane around camp or to pee at night...you don't want to undo it every time and possibly disturb your man. Retired AF guys can get grumpy if you wake them up just b/c YOU have to pee....
    2 - Most importantly, risk management. Chances of either failing are pretty low in this application, but still worth considering. If his pole breaks, he'll be grumpy. If your cane breaks, you might not be able to walk out. No matter how low the chances of failure, that's not something worth risking.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Excellent points, Jeff, especially since I am now hiking with one cane instead of the two I used previously. {insert dancing banana}

My leg is improving dramatically. I have regained a little bit of voluntary control over my vastus lateralis now and have been diligently training it. It is paying off. I am walking for distances up to one mile on paved surfaces without my cane. I am also walking without the limp caused by the weakness for up to 1/2 mile now. While the muscle burns non-stop from the regrowth of the nerves, it is worth it.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Excellent points, Jeff, especially since I am now hiking with one cane instead of the two I used previously. {insert dancing banana}

My leg is improving dramatically. I have regained a little bit of voluntary control over my vastus lateralis now and have been diligently training it. It is paying off. I am walking for distances up to one mile on paved surfaces without my cane. I am also walking without the limp caused by the weakness for up to 1/2 mile now. While the muscle burns non-stop from the regrowth of the nerves, it is worth it.
    that's great to hear mrs. frolicking!!! keep at it!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123