Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    small variation of this that I have heard of - tie the head ends of the hammocks to the same tree and the foot ends to two different trees - makes picking a site a little tougher however

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    I was talking with SgtRock when I hiked the cupcakes out for his birthday. I was playfully teasing my lowly ground-dwelling male dino and mentioned we could hang side-by-side instead of lying on the ground side-by-side. Rock noted that it might be possible to attach two hammocks to the same pair of large trees - one on the left and the other on the right - and then use the same tarp over them. This really caught the male dino's attention and was the first time I've ever seen him actually consider a hammock.

Have any of you tried doing this? Would it work?
    Just Jeff does this with his son. If Im not mistaken he hung that way at Mt Rogers in January. It should be no different with adults, just make sure you choose suitable sized trees like HE mentioned earlier. BD
    Last edited by Bird Dog; 03-16-2007 at 12:18. Reason: added more info
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Ed speer and his wife hang side-by-side a lot. They did so at HS last fall, if I remember correctly, but they were using a hammock stand designed specifically for that. I think I've also heard Ed talk about hanging side-by-side on a single pair of trees, but using a trek pole as a spreader bar to hold the head-end supports apart. This would keep you from being right on top of each other where it counts - the foot end is necessarily narrower by nature and so poses no problem.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Ed and Karen were using a hammock stand at HS last year.

The head end was what worried me. The dinos are pretty 'fluffy' critters and need some space. I use an offset cane for hiking (.75" aluminum) and the male dino uses a 1" wooden hiking staff. Surely one of those could become a spreader.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

The head end was what worried me. The dinos are pretty 'fluffy' critters and need some space. I use an offset cane for hiking (.75" aluminum) and the male dino uses a 1" wooden hiking staff. Surely one of those could become a spreader.
    I'm pretty sure the aluminum would be strong enough - probably the wood too. You'd need to make sure the attachment system was strong enough, though. You could probably come up with something really simple using rated cord. You'd probably be fine with the same rating you'd use on a ridgeline - this shouldn't take any more stress than that.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images

Either would work Im sure. Your imagination is the limit. I dont think the spreaders are load bearing so much as they are just keeping you separated. Then again, a maglite would probably work well. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

Is the male dino coming to HS this time? If so, I'm sure somebody could put an attachment system together for you by then so you guys could try it out.

Images
    He hasn't commited yet. One of the elders from my church is considering coming (he recently bougth a HH) and I told Michele to call me and I will pick her up if she is south of HS that weekend. I hadn't planned to spend the night, but.......

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    oooohhhh, fd. i think you are coming to the darks side!!!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FD - as Bird Dog said, that's how I hang with the kids. Plenty of room, and we block the wind for each other that way so it's a bit warmer.

If you could find at least one big tree to hang from, that would put enough separation between you that you wouldn't need a spreader. I don't use a spreader with the kids.

And we usually sleep under the same tarp. The MacCat Standard worked fine for us during the icy snow at Mt Rogers. If I had two adults under there I'd want something with better end coverage...maybe a Deluxe or something similar.

One other issue - if you're close enough, you affect how each other lays. Good for warmth, bad for nighttime bio breaks. But if you're spread far enough apart it shouldn't be a problem.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast