Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps

Trying to ditch the biner

I'm trying to do away with the biner part of my suspension. Right now i have whoopies attached to my hammock and attach them to my straps using a carabiner. Does anyone see anything wrong with reversing this illustration? i.e. leaving the whoopies on my hammock and attaching the continuous loop to my strap. I would like to keep the whoopies on my hammock to make it easier to adjust by myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    no reason you can't do that... but having the smaller loop on the hammock gives you option of putting that loop straight on the toggle giving you the shortest suspension set up possible which would be advantageous every once in a while... but other than that get after it... you could also use a toggle and marlin spike hitch instead of the loop at the end, but hang your own hang... let us know how it works out...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    no reason you can't do that... but having the smaller loop on the hammock gives you option of putting that loop straight on the toggle giving you the shortest suspension set up possible which would be advantageous every once in a while... but other than that get after it... you could also use a toggle and marlin spike hitch instead of the loop at the end, but hang your own hang... let us know how it works out...
    I actually just placed an order for Dutch whoopie hooks and Dutch clips. I will be attaching the whoopie sling to cont loop via hook, so no toggle should be necessary. Just wanted to see of anyone had any reason why it wouldn't work that way.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Brute, just reread your post and understand now. That makes a lot more sense in case trees are too close, just bypass whoopie and go straight I toggle on the strap.

It would work very well the way you describe.

I have been using the inverted whoopie suspension for about two years now, and I find the set-up super easy, and there are a couple advantages to this system. I don't use a biner or a clip, I just feed everything through the sewn loop on the one end of my strap. So the only hardware I use is a dutch whoopie hook.

First with the continuous loop on the hammock, when you attach the whoopie hook since it is under the tarp it functions as a water break.

Second and just equally valuable, I can take down my system (other than the suspension attached too the tree) from under the dryness and protection of my tarp.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    It would work very well the way you describe.

I have been using the inverted whoopie suspension for about two years now, and I find the set-up super easy, and there are a couple advantages to this system. I don't use a biner or a clip, I just feed everything through the sewn loop on the one end of my strap. So the only hardware I use is a dutch whoopie hook.

First with the continuous loop on the hammock, when you attach the whoopie hook since it is under the tarp it functions as a water break.

Second and just equally valuable, I can take down my system (other than the suspension attached too the tree) from under the dryness and protection of my tarp.
    The reason I'm using the Dutch clip is the few times I've tried feeding one end of my strap through the other, there was a lot of tightening/slipping until it settled. I will probably move the loop to my hammock. I can always unclip the whoopie hook if I need to tighten it up

Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    The reason I'm using the Dutch clip is the few times I've tried feeding one end of my strap through the other, there was a lot of tightening/slipping until it settled. I will probably move the loop to my hammock. I can always unclip the whoopie hook if I need to tighten it up
    Too each their own, I think everyone needs to find the system that they like and that works for them. Case n point is I just switched to UCR's (inverted as well) and I am starting to like them more than whoopie's, and I've been hangin from whoopies for a long time.

FWIW I haven't used a clip or biner in prob the past 2+ years, and since I switched to the inverted whoopie as long as I paid attention to the size of tree's that I hang from (don't pick the thickest n biggest) I haven't had a issue adjusting my suspension while the hammock was still attached.

As far as slipping, I can't say that that has ever happened to me, YMMV.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post

As far as slipping, I can't say that that has ever happened to me, YMMV.
    It's hard to describe. It's not really slipping. It's when the loop tightens down. It kinda pops a few times until it has settled. It might just be b/c I'm 215 lbs.

• + New Posts