Insulation
    Pad

Hammock and ground bug net

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if this product exists. I use a WB traveler and am looking for a bug net to use when needed but I'd also love it if it could be attached under a tarp on the ground to give me the same protection...maybe a bug pyramid that some can close to make a sock for a hammock but open up when I'm forces onto the ground.

Thanks!

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lundquistas View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering if this product exists. I use a WB traveler and am looking for a bug net to use when needed but I'd also love it if it could be attached under a tarp on the ground to give me the same protection...maybe a bug pyramid that some can close to make a sock for a hammock but open up when I'm forces onto the ground.

Thanks!
    You could buy a bugnet intended to cover you when you're on the ground, then make two holes on either side for your hammock suspension to thread through. Then just use a loop stitch around the edges of your holes to attach loops of shock cord with cord locks and stop your holes from fraying. When you use it in the ground, cinch your holes closed, and when you use it from the hammock, throw it over a ridgeline, cinch the holes around your suspension.

Might want to treat with permethrin though since it hangs to the ground. I had bugs climb it from the ground before I treated mine.

Insulation
    Pad
    I was thinking I could try something like that. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good lightweight one? thanks!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Is this something like what you're looking for?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55169

Hammock
    hammock bliss soon to upgrade
    Tarp
    silnylon
    Insulation
    preferably none
    Suspension
    twine and stick
    I've been thinking the exact same thing... seem a logical step to me.

I was thinking something like the bug nets you use over your bed in the troipcs

Like this:

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-cate...-mosquito-net/

only cut shorter with a draw cord in the bottom and holes in the top to thread over ridge line this system would work for both ground and hammock camping.

pull it in tight when hammock camping. would also assit to hold it in place when on the ground under sleeping mat....

Could maybe have a velcro or zip side entrance? pain in the backside to have to stuff a bug net under a mattress every-time you get out.

also it would not have a built in ground sheet which would result in the bugnet wearing on the ground and slipping around if i ground sheet is added.

Anyway i think there is potential for this design if i had the space, tools and knowledge i would have started designing more seriously long ago.

all the best!

PS regarding the above link by "sarge" kinda like it although i would personally hang different tarp height set-ups for ground or hammock camping so would cut out all the excess netting and leave only whats required... Standing up is not imperative plus would keep weight down a whole lot.
    Last edited by AquaExp; 02-02-2013 at 17:38.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lundquistas View Post
    I was thinking I could try something like that. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good lightweight one? thanks!
    I'm not sure of the weight, but the one I picked up was less than 5 dollars just a cheap coughlan's net. I figured it was cheap enough that if I started cutting it up and messed up I wouldn't care. It doesn't seem too heavy though.

Insulation
    Pad
    Thanks guys, yah something like the Grand Trunk but more minimal...22 oz is way to much. I was hoping for something under the 7 ounce range...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    SGT Rock has the Bug Hut Its as light as you can get.
    Not sure if it is available? But the link should get you heading in the right direction.

A standard netted hammock can be deployed on the ground (use a good groundcloth and a pad). Simply sleep on the hammock fabric and rig the netting up with the aid of some nearby trees or trek poles.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I couldn't find anything that light that served the purpose I was looking for so I made my own. I could have gone lighter if I didn't have the net floor, but in case you were a little higher off the ground the floor can still touch.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    BIAS WW micro 11'
    Tarp
    JRB hex 11'
    Insulation
    warm weather only
    Suspension
    DIY portable poles
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaExp View Post
    I've been thinking the exact same thing... seem a logical step to me. I was thinking something like the bug nets you use over your bed in the tropics.
    I was trying to figure that out today also -- hammock + Pancho shelter + hostel bed.

Could maybe have a velcro or zip side entrance? pain in the backside to have to stuff a bug net under a mattress every-time you get out.
    What I have been considering is running shock-cord segments along each of the four sides. When used on a bed, I think I can join the adjacent shock-cord ends and pull them tight enough to allow me to stretch them around the mattress. Whatayatink?

• + New Posts