Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Exclamation Video: Minus 26º Minnesota Backpack Hammock Quest

Salutations Oh Ye Swayers......
    The trip ended being 2 night and 3 days of Winter Wonder. Every year I realize that when breaking trail in powdery snow that the going is slow especially when toting your goods into the woods. Kurt Papke was an excellent hiking partner ... very strong and self-sufficient. I like that in a backpacker!
    The wind was whipping off of Egge Lake when we pulled in there at around 3:30 so we stealthed up in the woods away from the lake and got into the shelter of trees. Nice to have hammocks for that. My hammock set-up was quick and easy with the straps and rings and biners on my DIY hammock. Kurt used the standard Hennessy knots and lashings and it looked easy for him and quick. Fired up the MSR Whisperlite stove and started making water ... good ol' HOT water! Cocoa Time! Slept in my REI 0º bag with full UQ, BA insulated pad and a blue CCF pad slipped into my SPE. Did not bring the wing pads for the SPE and I wish I had in retrospect. Slept warm and dreamy.
    Woke earlyish but did not egress the hammock for some time. It was around -5º! Boiled water on my Mini-Atomic alky stove from Tinny at MiniBullDesign and had a hot breakfast from the hammock. Oh Glory!
    Off to Camp two .... we backtracked and stopped back at my van to resupply for what we knew was going to be a dangerously cold night. I grabbed an second sleeping bag and more white gas. We were only about 15 minutes there. South now to Leskinen Creek. Trail was broken for a while then we had to break. It is so tiring and we switched off a lot. Kurt can break some trail with his long strides. Windy at campsite so again we headed up a ridge and found a sheltered spot. Heard the wind all night and trees cracking but we only got a wee bit of a breeze. Dinner was quick, a hasty cigar, boil tons of water for the night and morn', and start the crawling in process. I awoke a bit cold in the feet even though I was wearing down booties. Took them off and slipped the JRB Down Sleeves over my feet and that was an improvement! Slept pretty warm ... not cold ... fairly warm. Warm on bottom but if I ever go out this cold again in a hammock I would like to double up UQ's on the bottom. That would be bulky but ideal. The pulk sled worked well ..... on hiking out on day one it kept tipping over and I was cursing it. I stopped and did a looky-see and found that my beeners were both on the same harness hook. Gremlins!!! Once I corrected that all was good again. I did take my pack and put sleeping bags and down in it and wore it and the heavier stuff in the sled to lower the center of gravity. That is the way to go!
    Morning was -27º and ....wow ....that is some kinda cold. Boiled enough water from the hammock for a hot cocoa on the mini-atomic and that got me up and out. Boil, boil boil. Hot grits, bacon, pop tarts, Whoppers, Kit Kat, coffee and banana chips. Smorgasbord of all things bad for you. Whoooo Buddy!
    We decided to bag it and go on home .... we proved our point ... fun can be had although it is a strange sense of fun. Kurt took off and I followed ... stopped to do more video. It was hard to find as much time to film as it is so cold you end up doing the essentials to survive and keep your toes and fingers. Crucial....
    got to the Van and of course .... dead battery! Popped the hood and within minutes a local named Joe saw us, drove by, turned around and came back and gave us a jump! THANKS JOE!!! ENDS UP THAT HE IS A HAMMOCK HANGER!! The world really is a great place.
    Learned:
    *Do not scrimp on carrying EXTRA WHITE GAS!!!!!
    *Have a back-up stove or plan for FAST BOILING
    *Have EXTRA SOCKS AND GLOVES..... SERIOUSLY...
    *You will not cover a lot of miles on snowshoes especially breaking trail in deep snow
    *Take time to stop for a hot drink when you get cold hiking
    *If your toes or hands are getting cold ... take care of the situation poste-haste.
    * Winter in the Piney Woods is True Glory
    Lots of Whoooo Buddies in this vid ... sorry... went nuts on that!
    All secure and Frosty in Sector Seven......
    Shug
    Thankee for watching
    Minus 26º Minnesota Backpack Hammock Quest

Last edited by angrysparrow; 01-15-2009 at 19:14. Reason: embedded video
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Great video. I'm looking forward to your tarp review video.
    Last edited by Counselor; 01-15-2009 at 19:20.

Wow, you guys are sure-fired die hard hammock hanging alchohol burning candy eating pulk pulling trail breaking he-men! I caught a bad cold just watching that video....

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Whoooo Buuuudy Shug....

Great video, nice report ... thanks for sharing.

Mt Rogers should be a cake walk next weekend by comparision.... That comment should drop it another 10 degrees....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Guys reading the tags on this thread I see "Quest" is one of them, might want to add the tag "Epic" for truly this will go down as an "Epic Quest" not to be out done any time soon. Great adventure and great vid Shug, X-tream comes to mind.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Nice trip guys! I love watching the videos. I wish I could get out more.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wh-wh-whoo bubu bububu buuuddddyyy... ccccold...

Thanks for ffffilming that SSSShug. Glad you ggguys mmmade it safely.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Wow!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    WOW............ I'm glad I'm down south were it's HOT
    Good stuff to experiencing & share guys. Glad you had a good time & came out safe!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Really glad you guys made it back safe. I hope many ground dwellers get a chance to see this.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast