DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    I'd like to see that.
    Well...I tried it and was not pleased with the results. That lower footbox is a dedicated piece of equipment and was not nice to have swinging around me. Better to just take the footbox off and put the top on as a regular jacket, IMO.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    You bought those online but a local store would have them in stock and selling the largest of the jackets for $14, some were marked $20 of my 3 one was $20 so the lady at checkout made the one of the 3 $14 like the others. I hope that wasn't too confusing lol.
    Looking back through the posts, it appears that some people have been able to get these for $5 each. YMMV. Still, for $28 I am completely happy with this setup.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I weighed mine today

in a stuff sack (free one that came with jacket)

15.6oz
    Not Bad for a 3 season quilt (I am a very warm sleeper)

I want to test it with the UQ I am making based on Honey Badgers Design

I am thinking I could get to around to 30* no problem
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I went and cleaned out all of Northern Wisconsin... Just kidding, I left an XL for someone.

I got them all at $14, and will be returning the ones ordered on line at $32..

Will be giving this one a try, and see what my bumbling efforts on a thread injector can do.

Thanks man for the inspiration, will probably be asking a few questions..

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

JC Penny Puffer

I posted this on another similar thread (the UQ one) and since the gear I made included a TQ maybe there is room for it here also. Here's the post:

"After reading a ton of posts, tossing out an idea or two, reading a bunch more posts and spending some hard earned cash on 8 JC Penny Puffers, I made some gear with 4 puffers that I hope will keep me toasty warm.

The TQ is 2 sleeveless jackets sewn together at the waist. One is folded towards the head opening and stitched to form a footbox and the other has two sets of sleeves (4 total) sewn in as wings (one set for width) and another set to add length. It covers up to my nose (I am 5'10") and weighs 24 oz. in stuff sack.

the UQ is made from one sleeveless jacket sewn to a frame made from scrap material and Climashield in such a manner to allow a complete jacket to be zipped in and serve as the top layer. It allows me to use the jacket as a it was intended and also as a layer to the UQ. The UQ measures 54" x 38" and weighs 32 oz. with DIY bishop bag (2 JC Penny puffer stuff sacks sewn together). The weight might seem heavy until you consider that 14 oz. of it is a jacket that can zip out of the UQ and be used for a jacket and also it's bigger than usual UQs.

The booties are made from one set of sleeves. I trimmed 3 sections from the cuff, outlined a sole (using a boot insole), stitched an outline and attached to the angled sleeve. I finished it with stretchy cuffs and added velcro to "clamp" on to strips of a Z Rest for the walks in the wee hours.

Overall it was a lot of work and a few burned up brain cells but the outcome was worth it. Both the TQ and UQ are at least 2 layers thick and in some places up to four layers."

I strung 1/8" shock cord through the channels along the collar and opposite side, stitched in tensioners. The troop members went nuts over the gear at last night's meeting. The low cost, and the versitility of the UQ and booties got rave reviews.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Update: me and the oldest hung out this weekend for an equipment test. Him in his HH Hyperlight and Typhoon fly with blast-panels, me in my DIY hammock and DIY Winter Dream tarp. He had a JCP puffer TQ and a 3/4 DIY synthetic UQ, with down booties. I had a JCP puffer TQ, DIY baffled 2/3 UQ, and jacket around the footbox. We were both dressed minimally (t-shirt, flannel shirt, jeans, tube socks, balaclava).

Son bailed at about 40*. I bailed at about 32*. For me, my system with this TQ is good to around 33-35*. Obviously I can extend this range with a H2O bottle, or my trusty bubble windshield thingy. I was fairly impressed. The next tests will be with H2O bottle, windshield screen, and different clothing to get a better idea of what is going on.

I'll say...for the cost this is an excellent idea. I hated that I missed out on the Kmart pillows...and I am so glad I found out about these jackets before they all got gone. So far I have made 2 TQ and I have about 6 jackets left. Very exciting.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl-maker View Post
    Update: me and the oldest hung out this weekend for an equipment test. Him in his HH Hyperlight and Typhoon fly with blast-panels, me in my DIY hammock and DIY Winter Dream tarp. He had a JCP puffer TQ and a 3/4 DIY synthetic UQ, with down booties. I had a JCP puffer TQ, DIY baffled 2/3 UQ, and jacket around the footbox. We were both dressed minimally (t-shirt, flannel shirt, jeans, tube socks, balaclava).

Son bailed at about 40*. I bailed at about 32*. For me, my system with this TQ is good to around 33-35*. Obviously I can extend this range with a H2O bottle, or my trusty bubble windshield thingy. I was fairly impressed. The next tests will be with H2O bottle, windshield screen, and different clothing to get a better idea of what is going on.

I'll say...for the cost this is an excellent idea. I hated that I missed out on the Kmart pillows...and I am so glad I found out about these jackets before they all got gone. So far I have made 2 TQ and I have about 6 jackets left. Very exciting.

How many layers does your gear (TQ & UQ) have?

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    How many layers does your gear (TQ & UQ) have?
    single layer TQ baffled UQ

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl-maker View Post
    single layer TQ baffled UQ
    I'll have to field test my two layer gear and see how low is goes. I love the compactability of it.

Thanks for the inspiration,
    Last edited by mountain_man_mike; 02-28-2013 at 19:49.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies.
    Well now I'm real excited to get one of these things and give it a test. Here in Florida, I think this thing's gonna be perfect, and I bet I can push limits if need be up north in the spring and fall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast