WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods

20* UQ winter test

Here's a little info I shared with the people over at BWCA.com on the hammock sub forum. I thought some here would find the review helpful or interesting.

I took my Hammock gear UQ out for a test run yesterday. I ordered it a while ago but never had it out under 23*. Here's the results from yesterdays 9* hang. I used my most minimal gear in the test to really see what it could do.

First of all, the gear:
    -Warbonnet Blackbird in 1.1 fabric with a double bottom.I figured it was breezy and I purposely didn't want to block any wind or use my 1.7oz hammock for the test.
    -Marmot Pinnacle 15* down bag loose on top of me like a quilt.
    -I had on a baselayer only with a knit cap. No gloves, no down booties and just a normal pair of midweight socks.
    -I had my Hammock Gear 20* incubator (full length) with a 2oz. overstuff.

Weather:
    - Sunny, nine degrees with a steady breeze making it 1-3* above Zero for the entire test.
    - No tarp used because I did not want the wind blocked. I wanted the worst conditions knowing how wind robs the heat.

Now, I'm a cold sleeper normally and usually take along extra for the weather knowing this. I've been a pad user down to 10* for ten years and this is my first UQ.
    I spent just about 3 hours in the hammock and had no trouble settling in. The UQ went right to work as they do sending up the warmth. Once in a while I felt that cold blast that comes in from the foot or the head end. In this case, it was just down my neck. This would take a simple adjustment of the draft collar on the UQ to fix and if I was dressed for an actual night out, I probably would have been fine.

It has been my long experience of over 3 decades of gear that you get what you pay for. I've been lucky at getting gear that has always functioned flawlessly with just two exceptions in that time. This piece of gear from Hammock Gear is one of the finest. There is no doubt that I could have stayed out all night with little more than I set out with on my test.

I liked it so much, I ordered another one yesterday. I now have a 0* incubator on order as my average nights out are usually below 40* and with proper UQ venting, it could be used for most of the year or dead of winter camping, which I also enjoy.
    Last edited by Lorax; 02-03-2013 at 14:13.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Cool review, thanks for sharing
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ur going to love the 0°, hammockgear makes some incredible quilts!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktee View Post
    ur going to love the 0°, hammockgear makes some incredible quilts!!!

My goal was to push the limits for me utilizing the 20* with the 2oz overstuff, knowing that I really also wanted the 0* at some point.
    I figured if I was good with the 20*, I know I would be good with the 0*.

Now, I was ok in the test, but at no point was I really "warm" in it. I knew I wouldn't be since I set up the worst type of situation for my test. Just insulated enough to catch some ZZzzzz's. However, it would have worked, especially if I had on a fleece zipped up and other minor clothing options. I believe the 0* Inky will perform incredibly and I will even feel some of that UQ warmth radiate up in single digits.

But the underlying result of the test is what matters. I have a piece of high end gear designed for 20* that actually has a built in safety factor for some breeze or slightly lower temps if I were to encounter them. I did like the way it performed on my 23* night out and am very confident with it. Even more so now.

Gear is so subjective to the particular user. Nothing in the gear world is "one size fits all" and I just thought my particular findings for me being a cold sleeper type was interesting.

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    Good review. I have a strong feeling that quit a bit of HG gear is in the near future for me.
    You don't want to die? Thats easy. Don't fail
    -Dan Osman

Hammock
    TableCloth 11'
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ/TP
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Do you think it would be the same story if you didn't have the 2oz of over stuff in there?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the report! I have the exact same hammock/sleeping bag/clothing/UQ setup but 1oz overstuff instead of 2oz. I too like to push the limit so I can feel good about going to sleep at night when the temps drop.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Great review! I have one of those full-length HG underquilts in the "0" degree version and I am very happy with it, but haven't had it below 40 degrees yet. Its a bit of "overkill" for the winter conditions I usually encounter here in Alabama, but I don't like to sleep with a bunch of layers of clothes...and I am a cold sleeper. I have total peace of mind and comfort with it. I highly recommend it.

G-Nut

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by LandoCommando View Post
    Do you think it would be the same story if you didn't have the 2oz of over stuff in there?

I honestly don't know. I got the extra because of down shift. I have a 20* Moonstone (great company that unfortunatley folded) bag in the color "Lightbulb" and you can see through it. It really gives you a lesson on how down shifts. That was the reason for the overstuff.

After getting my 20* Incubator, I doubt that there would be any thin spots. I got the 2oz just to be sure, but I'm sure without it, it wouldn't have been a problem. I'm sure it helps with the loft, which traps more dead air though.

Hard to tell

Now I'm waiting for some colder weather, which we'll easily get to try out my new 0* Inky.

Stay tuned.......

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Just ordered a 20 myself. Can't wait to try it out... Although to be fair 20 is my bottom temperature any way. Actually I'm happier not going below 30.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast