Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    What keeps you warm really is trapped air, that is still within the down. The more loft (depth of air filled with down), the more insulation you have. The fill numbers describe how much volume (in cubic inches) an ounce of down naturally fills. Ultimately this translates into weight for a given loft.

Example : you want to fill 10000 cubic inches for a quilt. The amount of 900 fill down you need for that is 10000/900 = 11.1 ounces. To fill that same space with 600 fill down you need 10000/600 = 16.67 ounces .

Turn this around, for a given weight of down, the higher the fill number, the more loft and hence the more insulation.

Or yet another way, for a given level of insulation (20 degrees F in your example), the higher the fill number,
    the less down you need to get to that temperature.

Grizz
    Hey .... I understood that!
    Smarter me are getting on here.
    Good teacher that Grizz....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

so the higher the fill number the less the bag will weigh and the more it will cost?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irrationalsolutions View Post
    so the higher the fill number the less the bag will weigh and the more it will cost?
    You got it! Just remember when you buy down you get what you pay for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Pay more for less, fun isn't it?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    You could always buy some down from speers and make your own TQ. Jump in on the down group buy. With a little DIY you could save a few bucks.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Probably said this too many times already on this forum, but I can't help but recommend the Cabelas XPG -40F goose down mummy bag.

Waterproof outer shell and made just as nice (dare I say, if not better than a TNF or Feathered Friends).

Check it out here...
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...requestid=1992

They had them on sale for $349.00 on the website, but it looks as thought that sale is over. If you're serious though, I can see if they still have them on sale here at the Sidney store. Just a thought.

Also, I have a Kelty 50th Anniversary 6000c.i. external frame backpack. Weighs only 6 lbs and fits/feels like an internal frame backpack. Unfortunately, they made them in limited quantities and now eBay might be the only way to get one. But, this is a lightweight U-Haul. It is made for 7+ day pack trips. You can pack it full and won't even notice the weight on your back. Anyways, it is some serious quality from Kelty and weighs less than some internal frame packs. I would have to give Kelty 5 stars!

I think you'll find that the goose down is the best way to go for lightweight/compact:warmth ratio. Now, it's just figuring out how much of a down bag you will really need and use. Plenty of thoughts/ideas/recommendations here on HammockForums.net!!!

Cheers!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    My experience from doing a AT through hike and about 500 - 900 miles of hiking a year since. First, a down bag should have 800+ fill - otherwise you're not saving much in the way of weight and compresability over a good synthetic bags. Second, don't be afraid of all the stories about how bad down is when it gets wet. Short answer is to keep it in a separate water proof bag or trash bag and it'll stay dry. Third, get a 15 or 20 degree bag. If you go for a zero degree or less bag, you'll roast yourself in cool weather, but freeze when you try to vent the bag to cool down. Of course, if you always hike in zero or below weather, then a zero degree bag makes sense.

If you want to stay with real sleeping bags, you can't go wrong with Western Mountaineering, but they cost more. If you are sticking with the hammock, consider a quilt like what JacksRBetter offer. I particularly like the No Sniveller bags with the head hole. Really nice for hanging around at a cold campsite.

Images
    It will also pack smaller.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Thumbs up Synthetic Bag Recommendation

I agree with most of the comments regarding "Buy A Down Bag," however to respond to your concerns about high humidity and water problems, here is my two cents.

Look into Montbell Super Stretch Synthetic Sleeping Bags (http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=31). These bags come in a wide variety of temp settings: from 0 to 50 degrees.

Also, if you (like me) do not like the confined feeling of most mummy bags---I toss and turn at night and really do move around quite a bit--then the super stretch feature is really the bomb. These bags feel as if nothing is on you...and your movements are completely unrestricted!

As to pricing, I have found deals on the Montbell bags; more often then not on Ebay (for lots of reasons, I do not recommend buying used sleeping bags). But, search the Internet and you can find some smoking deals.

BTW, Montbell bags have a life time guaranty.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    right now i'm on a gear budget for a little while...any ideas guys?
    I wasn't sure how much you are willing to spend, so telling you Western Mtn. or Feathered Friends might not be a good answer. Keep in mind that most of the brands tend to exaggerate their temperature ratings, even Montbell and Marmot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123